Gotta Ask...What Are Your Resolutions?

I have a real one, if anyone cares. I bought an SSL 2+ and am committed to recording again this year. I have to at least get back into it a little , and if it works, I’ll probably try to get a couple “real” tracks recorded.

I bought a new ssd hard drive for my newest laptop and hope it’s up to snuff to record. I guess I’m going to use Garage Band on the iPads for drums and bass at first, then do all recording in Reaper. Wish me luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have resolved to build a guitar. This will be a ST type Kit that I will do upgrades to during the process. I figured out a way to pay for the kit and parts with Gift Cards aquired at no cost to me. My total out of pocket expense will be less than $50. If I am successful, I may do another LP Type next year.
The project is half over now. just waiting on the oil to dry then it's assembly and set up. another week and it will be done. The body is a custom mixed wine red with Tru Oil overcoat.
the pickguard will be black with gold and silver hardware. The Bridge humbucker is a SE HFS out of my SE CU24 coupled with 2 EMG single coils. The bridge is a Gold Wilkinson Trem.
4h3X76t.jpg

vXv6HN6.jpg

8jBwEWi.jpg

My other project is a restoration of a 1967ish Recco (Ibanez) 480 It just needs a bit more nut work to make it playable, and a complete electronics replacement.
yxn5pbL.jpg

The beginning of this year I made a promise to myself that I'd save some cash from my holiday workshifts, the recent stimulus check, and my tax filings.

All three are done deals now. The only icing on the cake might be U. Sam's generosity again. (Not holding my breath, not expecting anything)

Yet if a separate stimulus check comes through again, I've already allocated some of my savings for this summer's needed home improvement (replacement wall AC unit), and perhaps some savings can be directed to a McCarty SC 594. I'd really like to consider a core model, but this may be out of reach, price-wise.

Otherwise, a McCarty S2 SC 594 might need to fit the bill. (Have listened to both the S2 and core SC 594s, and the difference is palpable. Would need to hear additional videos of the S2 to convince me that this is the way and still be able to write in my savings with black ink...)

Last edited:
Mostly to continue what I've been working on the last couple years, getting healthier, losing weight, and being more active. My weight and health had gotten really out of control while trying to recover from a bad accident, botched surgery, spending evenings working at a desk, and generally bad, dumb habits.

But in the last couple years I found a healthy, sustainable diet I could stick with, started being active regularly, and am now less than half the size I once was. Also, early last year I was finally able to start cycling again after decades away and have ridden a lot. (I wore out the top cogs on the cassette and have been awaiting a replacement for over a month).

I don't have much left to lose to get in a healthy BMI range, but I want to do so in the next few months. And to keep riding and being active. I'd also like to ride the Great Allegheny Passage (between Pittsburgh and Cumberland, Md.) this year. My mountain bike wouldn't be the best choice for that, though.

On a guitar-related note, I stopped playing for several years because my fingers kept cracking and bleeding badly. Once I was on a healthy diet for a while and lost weight, the skin problem ceased, and I have been able to play again.

Nice. Did they require any wax potting for microphonics? (I don't know how EMGs single-coils sound w/o covers myself, am genuinely curious...)

Clearer now. Seemed that the single coil covers were metal, but only coated to look that way. The unknowledgable and untrained eye can be misled.
Then my evil plan has worked:rolleyes: The idea of the whole build, was to build it as cheaply as possible, while maintaining an expensive appearance. My total out of pocket expense for this guitar was less than 50 bucks. The Majority of the parts, including the guitar kit was paid for using Amazon Gift cards that I obtained using Hotel points. The hotels cost me nothing, because work pays the bill.

Then my evil plan has worked:rolleyes: The idea of the whole build, was to build it as cheaply as possible, while maintaining an expensive appearance. My total out of pocket expense for this guitar was less than 50 bucks. The Majority of the parts, including the guitar kit was paid for using Amazon Gift cards that I obtained using Hotel points. The hotels cost me nothing, because work pays the bill.

Heh, not so much evil, more like a frugal gourmet. The menu looked like it was a grilled ham and cheese, or mushroom swiss burger, you ordered the house salad and cup of chowder.

Learning to play the guitar, easy. Lol

Trying to play the video, to learn how to play the guitar. THEN you might not find it easy. Lotsa stuff involved with guitar, more than you might think, and like many, I know only a little slice, a little glimpse of it.

But, welcome to the forum. Pull up a chair and grab a cold one, & enjoy your stay. :)

Back