Gig Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be cool if PRS sold gig bags to customers at cost if they presented a copy of their GC/MF receipt. I'm sure there would be a few complaints about that policy too, but I would've used it happily.

My 25th SE Cu24 came with a gig bag at GC, my Akesson didn't but I was already in love with it and the sale was too good to pass up. Those were somewhat impulsive purchases, but in the future if I know I want something, I think I'll go with one of the fine retailers that are active on the forum - I've heard a lot of good feedback about them so I doubt any of them would try to pull a GC on me. Those are nice gig bags - that and good customer service are worth a few extra bucks if you can spare it.

I agree with Sergio. PRS is a company that has lots of customers. You're asking a supplier to police its customers' shops? Are you kidding?

That would impose a very significant burden on a small company with only a few hundred employees, nearly all of whom are involved in manufacturing.

It's very different from an automobile manufacturer's situation, where the dealer is a franchise operation, whose stores the manufacturer is entitled by contract to police.

If you're disappointed with GC, you need to tell GC. This whole thing, including the condition of their inventory, is a GC problem, NOT a PRS problem.

I think you missed my point...

If the condition or poor presentation of a stores PRS inventory leads to a potential customer purchasing a competitors guitar rather than theirs that most certainly is a PRS problem! As long as GC sells any guitar they still win. For PRS to win they need the customer leaving with a new PRS guitar!

I like PRS as much (no wait...actually more...) than the next guy. But to suggest that a company washes it's hands once the product hits the channel is just silly. There was certainly room for confusion in this case. Maybe it doesn't take Hercule Poirot to figure out that the MF product doesn't ship with the bag, but it also isn't rocket science for PRS to know what GC and MF are up to. I see no problem with a customer letting the manufacturer know that he's unhappy with what a retailer is doing, even in a public manner. I also see no problem with the retailer quietly dealing with the issue in private.

I see no problem with a customer letting the manufacturer know that he's unhappy with what a retailer is doing, even in a public manner.

No question about it. And no one is suggesting otherwise. As I said in post #24, "no one is going to censor [Chris B.] unless he breaks forum rules." Go look. The thread hasn't been edited. No one is begrudging him the right to speak openly. The issue is his misplaced blame.

He's not here to bring this mater to the attention of PRS. He knows that PRS is aware. HE wants PRS to send him a free gig bag. To use his words...

PRS is keenly aware. not to mention actually facilitating what's going on here. PRS customer service told me they do not send their guitars to Guitar Center with the gig bags. I was told by PRS customer service I should return my guitar to Guitar Center and go buy one from another dealer if I wanted the gig bag. This is preposterous! Nice response. Nice service.

Again... the issue isn't with PRS. The issue is that he received a guitar from a dealer and it didn't come with a gig bag. Nor was one promised to him. And instead of returning the guitar and buying one elsewhere, he modified it. Now he can't return it - even if he wanted to.

But he is going to "take this up with PRS management" anyway? Like its PRS's responsibility to give him a gig bag?

How about some personal responsibility?

I also see no problem with the retailer quietly dealing with the issue in private.

Me either.

I wonder if he tried to take it up with the dealer in private? They are members here. Perhaps they'll weigh in.

Last edited:
Guitar Center never told me it would come with a gig bag. I did not realize until afterwards that they were selling the same guitar missing the gig bag at the same price as everyone else was selling it for with the gig bag. According to GC the MSRP on the guitar I purchased is $1092(Same as PRS website) with the same selling price as everyone else. Only difference, no gig bag. I have set up the guitar to my preferences including adjusting the nut slots and installing Schaller locking tuners. I am not in a position(nor would I want) to return it. I am happy with the instrument just not so much with PRS at the moment. I apologize for seeming so negative. I wont be making any further comments here regarding this. I have been, and will continue, taking this up with PRS management.

One can purchase a "like new" used Mira with a hard case for less than $1092. Unlike the SE models, a Mira is actually built by PRS employees.

If the condition or poor presentation of a stores PRS inventory leads to a potential customer purchasing a competitors guitar rather than theirs that most certainly is a PRS problem! As long as GC sells any guitar they still win. For PRS to win they need the customer leaving with a new PRS guitar!

No, I got your point. It doesn't:

a. Suggest a do-able solution the problem, or

b. Resolve the question of who's responsible for what, including you, the customer who didn't return it.

What is it you'd specifically have PRS do about dirty/dented/old strings guitar inventory at GC, or no gig bags, then?

...just my 2 cents..

Chris B., If you would spend near the time and effort actually PLAYING your new PRS SE that you do complaining about not getting a gig bag, you would enjoy it a lot more.

Hey guys, let's not beat up on Chris for expressing his opinion. Everyone is on equal footing here.

Chris, GC has been receiving SE's without gig bags for years and I doubt that will change in the future. If you're unhappy with your current dealer, there are plenty PRS dealers out there who would love to earn your business.

Agreed. I for one would be pissed to find out that my dealer had charged me full price while omitting part of the package. That doesn't mean anyone owes him anything, but I'm glad he vented here because I was unaware of this practice before.

That said; no, Chris, PRS has no say in how GC sets its prices, nor does any other manufacturer. For a manufacturer to force a retailer to set a specific price for a specific product would technically be price-fixing, which is shady at best and illegal at worst. The record industry did this in the 90s: Electronics stores were selling CDs below cost in order to get people in the store to buy other stuff, so the record labels forced them to stop by setting a minimum price they could sell at. And while there was some nobility in protecting record stores from being undersold, it was still anticompetitive behavior and they wound up losing a class-action lawsuit over it.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;75225 said:
Why did you agree to buy it without the gig bag?

Still unanswered. Why wasn't the guitar returned when it showed up missing the bag you expected?

Chris wanted to make sure PRS management heard his beef. Not only do I manage the PTC, I also manage the Customer Service department, the Merchandise department and the Parts department (both warranty replacements and parts for sale). I heard his issue and it was duly noted. Now that you have made PRS aware of the issue, you may want to make your dealer aware of the issue as well.

In my experience, it isn't only PRSi that are in poor condition at GC. It's ALL guitars...

Chris wanted to make sure PRS management heard his beef. Not only do I manage the PTC, I also manage the Customer Service department, the Merchandise department and the Parts department (both warranty replacements and parts for sale). I heard his issue and it was duly noted. Now that you have made PRS aware of the issue, you may want to make your dealer aware of the issue as well.
Shawn I think you appreciate where I am coming from. I have brought the issue up with GC as well. My issue is that my expectation of the gig bag came from page 7 of the PRS Price List where it says that an SE Custom 24 with an MSRP of $1092(which was exactly the same MSRP as what I have despite some comments to the contrary) includes a "cordura gig bag". There was no mention that it was "not available at GC" or "available at selected dealers only". Shawn you have confirmed that GC is not doing anything nefarious with these gig bags as some have suggested. PRS is just not sending the bags to GC. My expectation of receiving a gig bag came from information I received from PRS which is why I chose to broach the subject here. A couple of individuals have responded to me as though I am some kind of PRS hater. That is absolutely not true. I am more than happy with my new guitar. I just want those items which I was led to believe are supposed to come with it. Thanks for your response.

Not sure who this is directed towards... But not very nice...
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © Was supposed to be in response to his last post to me. I find some of his replies to me to be a little over the top. I would agree... Not the nicest thing I have ever said. If it is inappropriate or offensive then please feel free to delete it.

Shawn I think you appreciate where I am coming from. I have brought the issue up with GC as well. My issue is that my expectation of the gig bag came from page 7 of the PRS Price List where it says that an SE Custom 24 with an MSRP of $1092(which was exactly the same MSRP as what I have despite some comments to the contrary) includes a "cordura gig bag". There was no mention that it was "not available at GC" or "available at selected dealers only". Shawn you have confirmed that GC is not doing anything nefarious with these gig bags as some have suggested. PRS is just not sending the bags to GC. My expectation of receiving a gig bag came from information I received from PRS which is why I chose to broach the subject here. A couple of individuals have responded to me as though I am some kind of PRS hater. That is absolutely not true. I am more than happy with my new guitar. I just want those items which I was led to believe are supposed to come with it. Thanks for your response.

Led to believe? Or could it be you "assumed"? This is hardly new territory. The Gig Bag (case) not included issue has been going on for well over 10 years!

In my experience, when GC prices guitars, it will be a list price, with the "selling price" underneath and the words "with case" (or gig bag) if the case (or gig bag) is included.

This is not a recent phenomena...

AFA pricing goes, from what I understand, the only price restrictions PRS has with it's dealers is "Minimum ADVERTISED Price"... Not selling price...

Once again, your beef is w/GC...

No one has accused you of being a "PRS Hater". Just that your anger may be misguided...

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © Was supposed to be in response to his last post to me. I find some of his replies to me to be a little over the top. I would agree... Not the nicest thing I have ever said. If it is inappropriate or offensive then please feel free to delete it.

Problem is, I shouldn't have to.

Everyone here has been trying to be very straight forward with you, without being rude, I only ask the same in return...

In the spirit of free enterprise, no manufacturer wants to micromanage their distribution chain. That's not their place, nor contractual agreement. Granted, your concern is about PRS' statements being misrepresented, but that claim is misguided since this issue is not a flagrant breach of contract. It is an operational procedural decision on the part of the reseller. And if you've ever participated on a board of directors, you'll know that your job is to guide strategic policy and not interfere with day-to-day operations. In a way, PRS sets the guidelines for product sales but doesn't explicitly say how. That would be, as I said, micromanagement. You don't have to understand it or agree with it, but the issue lies with the reseller of your guitar...Guitar Center.

For a manufacturer to force a retailer to set a specific price for a specific product would technically be price-fixing, which is shady at best and illegal at worst.

Price fixing in the music industry is not all that uncommon. Mesa sets the price floor for their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back