from SE to S2

GrabtharsHammer

I owned an SE Standard 22 two years ago. And although it wasn't really a bad guitar, I had to change most of the stock hardware (bridge, nut, tuners, pickups) and the cost summed up to a height that I could have bought an S2 instead.

I just bought an S2 Standard 22 last week and - what a difference - I won't have to change a thing. Brought it to the PLEK service yesterday and after the analysis of the instrument the owner of the shop said that he was absolutely amazed how well built this guitar is, especially the fret work. The PLEK machine didn't have to do anything to the frets, they already were absolutely perfect. Just a very slight correction of the truss rod was needed (I play in D Standard, with 10-52 strings) to match the ideal curve on the display of the PLEK machine. So glad I bought this guitar. :)

So the S2's are made in Maryland and probably produced in lower numbers than the SE guitars so there is a good chance they get a bit more attention during construction and setup. But you said you had to replace the bridge, nut, tuners and pickups from your SE but the S2's use the same hardware and pickups as the SEs.

After the first few days with my new S2 I finally found a minor flaw. The pickguard doesn't sit 100% even on the body, which causes an audible buzz when playing hard. I checked all the screws, tightened them, slightly loosened them, tightened them again... but the buzz keeps coming back. It stops when I press my finger on the pickguard beneath the pickups, and I can feel that there is a slight gap between the pickguard and the body. My idea is to buy some very thin adhesive felt and put it on the underside of the pickguard to eliminate the buzz.

After the first few days with my new S2 I finally found a minor flaw. The pickguard doesn't sit 100% even on the body, which causes an audible buzz when playing hard. I checked all the screws, tightened them, slightly loosened them, tightened them again... but the buzz keeps coming back. It stops when I press my finger on the pickguard beneath the pickups, and I can feel that there is a slight gap between the pickguard and the body. My idea is to buy some very thin adhesive felt and put it on the underside of the pickguard to eliminate the buzz.

Double-sided adhesive tape may solve your issue.

What you describing can happen if the wiring needs a tidy up. Next time you change strings take it off and check everythings neat in the cavity.

The pickguard & body area there are flat

And yep, my S2s have locking tuners, core nut & adjustable bridge ;)

S2 series is the best value out there.

I have to agree. I just bought an S2 Standard 22 after being estranged from PRS for 25 years. In the 90's I played two Custom 24 ten tops but never could get used to the inexplicable location of the dreadful rotary switch. The sounds were there, but that rotary switch and its location destroyed my stage work flow and caused me to sell both within two years.

I don't care for the S2 pickups (#7 covered), but the guitar is otherwise perfect. I'm installing a Seymour Duncan 59/Custom in the bridge and a 4-conductor regular '59 in the neck, stock wiring scheme, this week and that should do it.

So far I’m loving my S2. It’s a Custom 24, so no pick guard though. But, this is very quickly becoming my favorite guitar. I just need to block the trem so that I can switch tunings a bit easier. Glad to hear you are enjoying yours.

Back