Fretboard oil for the SE Hollowbody II (Ebony fretboard)?

tdroid

I'm looking to get some fretboard oil and don't know if I should get the PRS brand or Musicnomad F1. The F1 gets universally great reviews. The PRS oil gets mixed reviews and some complain of a long lasting odor.

Any opinions / suggestions?

Thanks.

I'm looking to get some fretboard oil and don't know if I should get the PRS brand or Musicnomad F1. The F1 gets universally great reviews. The PRS oil gets mixed reviews and some complain of a long lasting odor.

Any opinions / suggestions?

Thanks.
Lots of disagreement and strong opinions about that.

I don't use either.

I use Hopes Pure Mineral Oil.

Same stuff I use on my cutting boards.

Have been using it on my guitars with no issues whatsoever for about 30 years.

I've always been a fan of the Dunlap fretboard conditioner, the built in "sponge" applicator makes it super easy to use and it seems to work great! Recently I've switched to F1 just because my local shop was out of the Dunlap and I think it may be even better.

Charles

I use the PRS Tung oil on all my rosewood and ebony boards, and I love it. It does have a bit of a scent, but I actually like it and either way I don't feel like it lingers. However, it's been marked down from $12/bottle to just $4 (it's been for awhile, this isn't a holiday sale) so I'm thinking they're discontinuing it...

I use the PRS Tung oil on all my rosewood and ebony boards, and I love it. It does have a bit of a scent, but I actually like it and either way I don't feel like it lingers. However, it's been marked down from $12/bottle to just $4 (it's been for awhile, this isn't a holiday sale) so I'm thinking they're discontinuing it...
I recently ran out of my years-old bottle of Dunlop 65 (Lemon oil) and bought a bottle of PRS's Tung oil as well. I immediately recognized the scent of the Tung oil as the smell I've associated with my PRS cases for years. Its a great smell. Also it made the Rosewood veneer on the head stock pop too.

Tung oil smells fishy but dissipates soon enough. It's just the way it is.

OP I use this stuff and it's awesome!

Shipping is $6, though!

Back