Fret buzz (McCarty 594)

Omacad

Hey all,
I just got my first PRS guitar, a McCarty 594. It's brand new and sounds amazing with the exception of the fret buzz on the E and A strings. I'm pretty sure it's a truss rod issue but I'm not confident enough to do it myself and I'm not sure if taking it to a local shop will void the warranty. Do I have to send it back to PRS (which is 3000 miles away) or am I good to go local?
Thanks.

Did you find out why/where it was buzzing though?

What you’ve done, though effective as a workaround, is to add relief to the neck and ever so slightly raise the action, which has compensated for what is probably just a slightly raised fret (or several).

I’ve found this on all three of my PRS guitars during setting them up to my preference, which is to have a flatter neck and lower action than PRS set them up with. All three needed a few spot levels on various parts of the fretboard. The good news is it’s not a massive issue for a pro luthier (or even an amateur one like me) so if you do decide to get it fixed properly you definitely do not have to send it back to PRS.

Back