Free DAW Plug-Ins for Mac?

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
If one researches "free DAW plug-ins," typically there are numerous VST plug-ins that work well with Windows.

Does anyone know of free plug-ins that work well with either Logic Pro X or GarageBand?

Did you try adding “+Mac” to your search? Yields good results.

Yes, there are several search results, one notably, Native Instruments Guitar Player 5 (not 5 Pro, though).

A couple years back, my Sweetwater rep suggested downloading a couple freebies that were offered at the time. EQuivocate (an EQing plug-in), iZotope (a comp / limiter / exciter / shaper tool). An additional plug-in, the TH-3 Brunetti Amp Collection was provided with my former Brunetti amp purchase from a separate dealer.

Added to my plug-ins has been the paid TH-U Rock Collection (more amp/cab/mic models similar to the TH-3 Collection).

There was one site during my search (can't remember which one it was) that listed various AU, VST, and other Windows/Mac 64-bit compatible plug-ins. Several of these seemed OK, I just wouldn't need these, but the one that was more of a multi-purpose tool was Guitar Player 5.

May need to consider this when possibly upgrading to Logic Pro X sometime this spring for an improved recording experience.

What about yourself? What nuggets have you discovered recently?

Last edited:
If you are looking for high quality virtual instruments I recommend “Dexed” by Digital Suburban available at kvraudio.com. It’s a Yamaha DX-7 emulator that has oodles of free presets.

If the link works it can be downloaded at:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/dexed-by-digital-suburban

And Spitfire Audio also has the LABS series of sample libraries. Interesting high quality stuff available at:

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/labs

Thanks for these!

My only problem is that most of these plug-ins require some knowledge of a piano keyboard, and like others from this forum, are mostly just guitar-trained. Although I listened to several of the audio clips from the spitfire site, (Soft Piano, Synth Pads, & London Atmos stood out above the others IMHO) my understanding of these plug-ins is that they require some form of midi-enabled or piano keyboard device for best use.

Was hoping to locate some amp/cab/mic, modulation and mastering plug-ins, more suited for the recording/mastering process itself, rather than the virtual instrument aspect.

Thanks just the same.

May need to consider this when possibly upgrading to Logic Pro X sometime this spring for an improved recording experience.

What about yourself? What nuggets have you discovered recently?

I've been Mac since day 1.

I'm trying to find time to learn Reaper (free) and paid for Fluff's "Beginner's Guide to Recording Rock and Metal" which came with some free plugins (don't remember names)
https://urm.academy/

I used to dig around for freebies but eventually stopped because they’d never update at the same time as Logic, so I’d have to skip using them.

Realistically, everything that comes bundled with Logic is pretty good.

I used to dig around for freebies but eventually stopped because they’d never update at the same time as Logic, so I’d have to skip using them.

Realistically, everything that comes bundled with Logic is pretty good.

My understanding is that there are some hidden Easter eggs within Logic that are decent quality. Have not committed to purchase just yet because of crunching the numbers regarding the past month's billing cycle.

Once my calculations have been completed, then it may be possible to upgrade to Logic Pro X.

I've been Mac since day 1.

I'm trying to find time to learn Reaper (free) and paid for Fluff's "Beginner's Guide to Recording Rock and Metal" which came with some free plugins (don't remember names)
https://urm.academy/

Reaper is a good choice for those on a budget and who don't worry about Mac-compatibility issues. TBH, I think it's more wise to work with a reliable product that Mac supports and also provides video training, whereas Reaper, one may not be so fortunate. Either way, if one needs to consider his wallet, whatever is most cost-effective with support is the one I'd more likely use more often and depend upon.

Reaper is a good choice for those on a budget and who don't worry about Mac-compatibility issues. TBH, I think it's more wise to work with a reliable product that Mac supports and also provides video training, whereas Reaper, one may not be so fortunate. Either way, if one needs to consider his wallet, whatever is most cost-effective with support is the one I'd more likely use more often and depend upon.
As a software engineer, I've generally found that paid support is often not much better, or even worse, than community-driven support.

My understanding is that there are some hidden Easter eggs within Logic that are decent quality. Have not committed to purchase just yet because of crunching the numbers regarding the past month's billing cycle.

Once my calculations have been completed, then it may be possible to upgrade to Logic Pro X.

Are you using 9?

Logic has pretty good stock plugins, for what it's worth.

If you're into rock/metal, Ignite Emissary is a good amp sim that's free.

As a software engineer, I've generally found that paid support is often not much better, or even worse, than community-driven support.

What I'm personally counting on is the Apple instructional videos as well as YT. There is a Logic forum within Apple's support pages, so if I might need help in my studies, I know where to look for help: the videos, the teachers, or the books.

Thankfully, my AppleCare phone support is good for 2-½ more years. Plenty of time to learn the how-to part in my spare time, and ask questions when necessary.

My only problem is that most of these plug-ins require some knowledge of a piano keyboard, and like others from this forum, are mostly just guitar-trained.

All you have to do is go to any of my threads in Studio & Stage and you will hear my PRS connected to a Fishman Tripleplay creating any keyboard (bass & drums too) sounds that need to be had. I don't endorse a lot of products around here but all you have to do is listen to my Soundcloud tunes to hear that you too ... can be a keyboard player ..... on your PRS.

You can even make Techno music...
https://soundcloud.com/tonybsongwriting/edm-dark-mix-backing-track-2020

..... and yes, move up to Logic as soon as you can afford it.

All you have to do is go to any of my threads in Studio & Stage and you will hear my PRS connected to a Fishman Tripleplay creating any keyboard (bass & drums too) sounds that need to be had. I don't endorse a lot of products around here but all you have to do is listen to my Soundcloud tunes to hear that you too ... can be a keyboard player ..... on your PRS.

You can even make Techno music...
https://soundcloud.com/tonybsongwriting/edm-dark-mix-backing-track-2020

..... and yes, move up to Logic as soon as you can afford it.

Plz describe this Fishman TriplePlay of which you speak...will check this out w/ Sweetwater, but am genuinely curious if this is more than just a grilled ham/cheese sandwich and cuppa coffee drawing me in...

EDIT: Hmm. Interesting device. My only issue is that the TriplePlay connects to your iOS device, not your computer. My iPad has only limited storage space (32GB) which precludes using Logic (a 63GB sized library). Though thanks for the suggestion; I'd prefer to not spend more money on extra devices and use things like EZDrummer 2 and Logic's loop library instead.

Yeah, it limits my options, but helps prevent spending more money on luxuries when what is needed is the simplified basics one can learn from.

Awesome job on the EDM sound clip! You really did the TriplePlay justice with the groove.

Last edited:
My only issue is that the TriplePlay connects to your iOS device, not your computer.

I plug mine straight into my desktop Mac so I think you might have misread something. I suggest you research it a little more before you make a decision.

Again, I don't endorse much around here, but the simple math is: You already know the guitar, would you rather control your sounds with that?, or some computer looping program? Mouse vs PRS, you decide.

Good luck, I know these $$ decisions are hard, making the most educated decision always pays off.

I plug mine straight into my desktop Mac so I think you might have misread something. I suggest you research it a little more before you make a decision.

Again, I don't endorse much around here, but the simple math is: You already know the guitar, would you rather control your sounds with that?, or some computer looping program? Mouse vs PRS, you decide.

Good luck, I know these $$ decisions are hard, making the most educated decision always pays off.

Is the TriplePlay app available for Mac, not just iOS?

EDIT: No, not at least from the App Store.

Might be nice if we didn't have to go out of the way to locate the associated app, but apparently, the TriplePlay works more directly with your mobile device via iOS app. According to Sweetwater, not sure where you located your TriplePlay app for Mac, HB...?

Last edited:
I use it on mine.

Ah, located the culprit. You're working with the wireless version, not the wired one that connects to your iPad.

Also discovered that TriplePlay uses VST files. Logic Pro X doesn't accept these as the preferred format, and uses AU files exclusively...?

Last edited:
Back