Apple Bringing Logic Pro To The iPad

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ

Unfortunately (IMO) it looks this is going to be a subscription thing (I don't see anything about this being a free add-on for existing Logic users). There are some really neat features that could be very useful - Roundtrip, which allows you to move a project from a Mac to an iPad and vice versa. Drawing automation curves w/the Apple Pencil (something I'd love to have on the desktop). No idea how plug-in licenses will work w/this, either.

Hmm, very interesting. Big Logic fan here. I believe there’s a remote feature for iOS devices already, but as an accessory to the Mac running the Logic project.

I wonder what functionality will be lost on the iPad version. That being said, I’m sure it’ll still be able to do a surprising amount.

My work is pretty complicated, involving several external drives, video and audio, etc. An iPad won't work for me, but I do think it's a great idea. I've been using Logic primarily since 2008.

However, I hate the idea of subscriptions. That really, really sucks. Bloodsucking at its worst.

Hmm, very interesting. Big Logic fan here. I believe there’s a remote feature for iOS devices already, but as an accessory to the Mac running the Logic project.

I wonder what functionality will be lost on the iPad version. That being said, I’m sure it’ll still be able to do a surprising amount.

There is indeed - Logic Remote. One of the things that convinced me to try an iPad way back when. There is some functionality and info I wish was displayed on the iPad using that, but it's perfect for when I'm recording acoustics or something that has me sitting back from the desk - no need to twist to my controller or move back and forth.

My work is pretty complicated, involving several external drives, video and audio, etc. An iPad won't work for me, but I do think it's a great idea. I've been using Logic primarily since 2008.

However, I hate the idea of subscriptions. That really, really sucks. Bloodsucking at its worst.

100% with you on the subs - I hate that idea. I understand the stated reasons why, but the I still think the reality is it's all about the $$$. And my first thought when I saw the article was, "This is really cool. I may have to do this." Followed in short order by, "But I don't have an interface for the iPad. And I wouldn't be able to play keyboard parts on the iPad (I can barely play them on the keyboard). And all the stuff on the external drive, and the plug-ins, and..." It quickly became obvious to me that it's not a great solution for me.

Where I do see it as a very good fit is it would allow you to use a desktop computer and still gain some mobility, but only for certain functions. It would be perfect for someone who's comfortable mixing on headphones and doesn't want to be tied down to a desk. But I don't think it would work for me for recording.

There is indeed - Logic Remote. One of the things that convinced me to try an iPad way back when. There is some functionality and info I wish was displayed on the iPad using that, but it's perfect for when I'm recording acoustics or something that has me sitting back from the desk - no need to twist to my controller or move back and forth.

100% with you on the subs - I hate that idea. I understand the stated reasons why, but the I still think the reality is it's all about the $$$. And my first thought when I saw the article was, "This is really cool. I may have to do this." Followed in short order by, "But I don't have an interface for the iPad. And I wouldn't be able to play keyboard parts on the iPad (I can barely play them on the keyboard). And all the stuff on the external drive, and the plug-ins, and..." It quickly became obvious to me that it's not a great solution for me.

Where I do see it as a very good fit is it would allow you to use a desktop computer and still gain some mobility, but only for certain functions. It would be perfect for someone who's comfortable mixing on headphones and doesn't want to be tied down to a desk. But I don't think it would work for me for recording.
It might also be great for recording your band live, or capturing sound effects in the field, something I do very quickly with a good handheld digital recorder.

But even for that, there's the issue of carrying an interface. mics, etc. Just as sensible to use a laptop and be able to add the gear you already own.

What worries me now is that they'll make the next version of Logic a subscription.

If they do, I might have to go back to Digital Performer. I have UA's Luna program, but it can't handle video at this point, so it's dead to me.

No doubt CEO Cook is thinking about the bump that Adobe stock price got when it switched to the subscription model.

As a consumer it's a dealbreaker here too. That's why I'm still running Creative Suite 3 from over a decade ago for Photoshop and the last perpetual license of Lightroom. Having said that Logic HAS been an a great deal, especially since Apple lets us share it within the family.

No doubt CEO Cook is thinking about the bump that Adobe stock price got when it switched to the subscription model.

As a consumer it's a dealbreaker here too. That's why I'm still running Creative Suite 3 from over a decade ago for Photoshop and the last perpetual license of Lightroom. Having said that Logic HAS been an a great deal, especially since Apple lets us share it within the family.
Logic is currently the best deal in a DAW out there, in terms of raw power, and a TON of scoring composers like me use it.

I'd hate to have to get into a subscription though.

Logic is currently the best deal in a DAW out there, in terms of raw power, and a TON of scoring composers like me use it.

I'd hate to have to get into a subscription though.

I started w/ProTools when I moved from a standalone DAW to a Mac quite a while ago. I added Logic to the stable partly out of curiosity, partly at the urging of Sergio and now-Laszlo. I've moved to primarily using Logic, mainly because I stretched out the life of my last Mac longer than I should have, which rended ProTools mostly impossible to use.

I think the best-sounding recording I've done thus far was on ProTools (well, I know it was on ProTools - I think it's the best-sounding one). But I don't think it was because it was ProTools, I think all the pieces just fell into place on that tune.

I started w/ProTools when I moved from a standalone DAW to a Mac quite a while ago. I added Logic to the stable partly out of curiosity, partly at the urging of Sergio and now-Laszlo. I've moved to primarily using Logic, mainly because I stretched out the life of my last Mac longer than I should have, which rended ProTools mostly impossible to use.

I think the best-sounding recording I've done thus far was on ProTools (well, I know it was on ProTools - I think it's the best-sounding one). But I don't think it was because it was ProTools, I think all the pieces just fell into place on that tune.
Probably it's the pieces falling into place, and maybe you were more experienced with the DAW.

I'll be completely open about this: My best sounding recordings were on tape and hardware disk recorders, whether analog multitrack and mastering decks, DA88, DM80 or Sony DASH digital, through a hardware console, using hardware outboard gear.

I ditched all that around 2008, but the DAW process started getting integrated a lot sooner. Still, everything ran through the console, (I also had a Neve summing mixer outboard of the console for the synths and some of the hardware) and I used a ton of hardware processors instead of plugins.

Note, I'm talking only about audio quality; my musical works have certainly gotten better over the last 15-20 years.

The workflow was different. The hardware's nonlinearities seemed to give the recordings more life. It's hard to explain, but I think the compromises necessary to meet client deadlines that forced me into the box for more and more things took their toll on how the audio sounded.

Knowing what I know now, I shoulda-woulda-coulda kept all that gear. I only got pennies on the dollar for it. I confess I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

I will probably try it out, because that will allow me to work on music on the road. While yeah, the subscription idea bothers me, it's 4 bucks a month. As to an interface I have an IRig I can use now. I have used it to record guitar tracks as ideas to GarageBand while out in the truck. I also just picked up one of the Moorer Prime portable effects units, which also functions as an interface. If you are using an iPad to also power an interface, it helps to have the "Camera Adapter" that also has the lightning connection, with the USB, to power both units at once via a 12 volt adapter.

I have a second generation iPad and I checked and the chip is good enough to run Logic. It only has a 296 storage capability though. I use it primarily as an E Reader. And to dabble on Procreate. The storage is still 95% free.

Back