Floyd trem vs. PRS Trem

Nev

Greetings, first time posting here for PRS forum. I'm considering buying my first PRS. ;) I have other guitars that have trems on them, both by Floyd and Edge Pros (used on Ibanez). I have read other posts that have comments on how much of a hassle changing strings, intonation, etc. I know all that, and I'm ok with it. But, I'd really like to know how the standard trem on the PRS perform vs. the Floyd. Does it keep the guitar in tune after some serious drops and pulls? Can you pull up? I tend to play a bit hard, and my guitars occasionally take some beatings on the strings. Will they perform as good or better than the Floyds I'm already used to? Thanks and cheers to all :D

The non Floyd type of floating bridge is raised off the body .062 (1/16th)
so it wont give you as drastic a pull up as the Floyd.
But this bridge is very stable. I have owned two PRS's with this trem...no issues.
A buddy of mine has a Custom 22 with the PRS trem & he just bought a Custom 24 w/Floyd Trem.
BOTH guitars have the tone and play equally well.

They certainly can perform "as well as". I used mine for bottomed out dive-bombs plenty of times without too much tuning between songs.

A recessed Floyd would certainly pull up more.
I do believe that there is better tuning stability with a Floyd.
I have 2 PRSs with the PRS trem and locking tuners, 2 Ibanez 6 strings with Edge and Lo Pro piezo Edge terms, as well as 2 7 strings with Lo Pros swell.
When doing crazy stuff with the trem, these Ibanez Floyds are perfectly stable.
The PRS trem IMHO is perfect as long as you do not go too crazy...
Oh... And the Ibanez Floyd trem flutters so much better, but that could be also the stiffer PRS springs...

Back