Fiore question

ChickenRob

I know this forum is going to enable my addiction, not prevent it, but I’m considering another PRS. This time a Fiore. I love the maple neck and the outline birds, and the idea of a HSS super strat setup is appealing to me.

My big question is on the pickups. Are these standard sizes? The internet at large is giving mixed results. Can I swap in after market pups if desired? My only HSS is an S2 Studio. Im thinking of trying to get some more strat like sounds and the SS does not appeal to me.

Any thoughts?

The humbucker is certainly regular size, the single coils I suspect are too, but I’m not 100%.

The real reason I’m replying is because I’ve had my Black Iris Fiore since March and to this day I am absolutely smitten. It is hands down the best guitar I have ever played and I’ve played thousands of guitars. I own four other Cores which are also great but are usually sitting on the rack feeling jealous I always go for the Fiore. The pickups are outstanding. I would never consider changing them and I used to change pickups in all of my guitars back in the day. The neck is just perfect, I love the trem (not a fan of bent saddles, but. It is what it is.)

I will be buying another Fiore in the new sunflower color.

Thanks. That’s encouraging. I’m not looking to necessarily swap out the pickups, but I have very little tolerance for him, so I thought some zexcoil singles might be in order. Also, if I go that route a zexcoil dual core with 2 single zexcoils in a humbucker housing might be interesting. Just want to know what I’m signing up for.

With 2 cores and 3 S2s, I don’t NEED another guitar, especially since I’m a bassist, but I’m really drawn to this model.

Dude, that is a fantastic collection. I love the colors and it's diverse. Enjoy the Fiore my guy, it's an addicting guitar. It's sitting around my neck as I type this. Here's the rack:

n9KPffJh.jpg

You guys are not helping with my Fiore GAS. I've been mesmerised with this guitar since day one. The perfect balance of vintage and modern, new and familiar approach which PRS is known of, and loved by me for.

The models in my avatar are the Custom 22 triple soapbar. They are from the second run, 2010-2011. This run had the Duncan Antiquities in it. I had one from the first run, but the P-90’s were ceramic magnets. The upper frequency response bothered me when playing clean. Of course, like every PRS, put gain on it and go to heaven. The quilt upped my addiction.

Dude, that is a fantastic collection. I love the colors and it's diverse. Enjoy the Fiore my guy, it's an addicting guitar. It's sitting around my neck as I type this. Here's the rack:

n9KPffJh.jpg
Nice collection, however I would be very nervous with a guitar stand on top of a cupboard.

Nice collection, however I would be very nervous with a guitar stand on top of a cupboard.
Thanks!

Oh it’s double ziptied on all four corners, that’s a solid wood dresser drawer. It’s very heavy. I live in southern California so I made sure if there was an earthquake, that rack wasn’t going anywhere. Couldn’t pull it off if I tried.

My big question is about the pickups. Are these standard sizes?
It is too little too late, but I have an answer to your question. They won't fit. If you look at the traditional Stratocaster pickup, you will see it has a triangular shape on one side. This is how most single coils are being made. Both sides of the wire are connected to the small eyelets in that spot. The Fiore, though, has a perfectly rounded pickup cavity with pickup eyelets stamped on the upper and lower side of the pickup next to the pickup mounting screws. So traditional strat pickup won't fit. Some export single coils are rounded, too; I believe Squier pickups are, and some Seymour Duncans, too, like Quarterpounder, for example. Possibly low-volume boutique brands could cut you custom-made bobbin flats and build a pickup around this.

It is too little too late, but I have an answer to your question. They won't fit. If you look at the traditional Stratocaster pickup, you will see it has a triangular shape on one side. This is how most single coils are being made. Both sides of the wire are connected to the small eyelets in that spot. The Fiore, though, has a perfectly rounded pickup cavity with pickup eyelets stamped on the upper and lower side of the pickup next to the pickup mounting screws. So traditional strat pickup won't fit. Some export single coils are rounded, too; I believe Squier pickups are, and some Seymour Duncans, too, like Quarterpounder, for example. Possibly low-volume boutique brands could cut you custom-made bobbin flats and build a pickup around this.
That was neither too little nor too late. I’m not sold on my fiore yet. The neck is not my ideal shape, and it definitely still needs new lighter gauge strings and lower action. I’ll worry about the pickups after I figure out the ergonomics.

That was neither too little nor too late. I’m not sold on my fiore yet. The neck is not my ideal shape, and it definitely still needs new lighter gauge strings and lower action. I’ll worry about the pickups after I figure out the ergonomics.
What do you dislike about the neck?

I find the neck too wide perhaps? It’s not super comfortable like the rest of my PRS collection. I guess I should measure it and see what dimension doesn’t feel quite right.

Back