Finally some 513 love on ‘mainstream’ Youtube

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
I am so delighted that finally somebody other than me is making 513 videos ( I kid I know there are many more out there )
And Lemmo did a great job playing though sadly he didn’t do full justice to the genius of this guitar.
I’ll repeat, for those interested in my opinion, the 513 (specially the Braz Rosewood) is the best all round guitar ever

Bonnie guitar.

Someone has scalloped the nut which a nice touch!

A luthier friend does this with bone nuts on his acoustic guitars.

Nice share Utkarsh.

Thanks. The scalloped nut, the bespoke neck joint (now shared with the 509), bespoke frets, bespoke birds and the 25.25 scale length are what made the 513 unique even before you get into the electronics. And the proof is in the pudding

The earlier versions all came with the scalloped nut and "513" birds...
ve8yg5x.jpg

3npc3uX.jpg

YTQaLz6.jpg

Yep, both of mine (2007 Brazzies) have the scalloped nut and 513 birds. I thought they were the most tricked out “standard” models ever. A PRS original, and their best, IMO.

Forgive my ignorance, what is the purpose of scalloping the nut?
The theory was that with less mass on the sculpted nut, you had greater note separation with no loss of sustain. I went looking for one for my 509 recently, and there were none left anywhere that I could find. The experiment seems to have ended after the first year or two.

The theory was that with less mass on the sculpted nut, you had greater note separation with no loss of sustain. I went looking for one for my 509 recently, and there were none left anywhere that I could find. The experiment seems to have ended after the first year or two.

Interesting. I did not know the theory behind it.
Now we may be heading into placebo land but I can tell you that I did feel a difference in sustain and harmonic bloom between my pre 2008 513s and a 2017 (probably the last one) that I bought and eventually sold to my bandmate . Towards the end the 513s were harmonised with the rest of the PRS lineup, having the same birds and the same neck profile instead of bespoke ones.
I am really curious about this scalloped nut now. Would be great if someone from PRS can help shed some light

Nice playing and sounds, but he did not really know how the switching works...
I guess the switching is at the same time the strongest and weakest point of the guitar...
If you touch one for the first time, you need someone to explain how it works for a few seconds...

I thought the audio could have been tweaked to show off the sounds that we know a PRS guitar can achieve.

i'm in love with 513.
i have the same model (25th anniversary) but unfortunately the middle pickup has low volume. I've to find somebody to check the wiring.

Somebody knows how different is a 513 BRW in tone compared to mahogany one?

Thanks for answering!

Somebody knows how different is a 513 BRW in tone compared to mahogany one?
The Brazilian neck does sound different. Because I played mostly mahogany necked guitars prior, I was much more used to the response of my first 513 with the standard neck, and when I got the first Brazilian one, I thought it sounded a little “soft” in comparison. I figured out that using a different neck wood is like swapping pickups, and you have to EQ for it. Closer to the point, I had to un-EQ for it... they didn’t need as much to sound balanced to me. And I did feel it resonated well, adding a little something musical that is hard to define. And like any bare wood finished neck, it feels good to play. I’d say that I like the feel of BRW or EIRW at least as much as I like the sound!

When I was in the process of getting my 513 I noticed there wasn’t many videos. I mostly relied on Don Carr’s demos from sweetwater. I’m not sure if the honeymoon is over for me but I absolutely love my 513. I told our bass player last night I’m not sure if I prefer the PRS or tele more and that’s a good problem to have. I was on a quest to find a guitar that could do Humbucker tones but rival my #1. I went thru probably 15-20 guitars in 2yrs searching for #1b. I think I found it bc I’m excited to play this guitar every day and the tone possibilities have me exploring other styles. The light Humbucker mode is incredible and worth the price of admission all by itself.

Great tones! It does seem like PRS is making big strides in that regard. Gone are the days where the word “sterile” is bandied about. At least not with new and open minds, I suppose. And that’s where the future lies.

If PRS is on the up, then I suppose owning a PRS guitar is like owning PRS stocks. :D

Back