Favorite moments in music making

Moondog Wily

In Tune Wit Da Moon!
Although I have been a musician my whole life (well, since I was 6), I was never "fully in" for a variety of reasons. I consider music to be my religion, yet I was not going to the services or participating the way I should have been. It is only in the last 10 years (and even more intently in the last 3 years) that I have tried to be more present in this world of music.

In this current state, I am finding two things that just light my fire every time, and am wondering what other peoples brightest moments are and how they reach them!

My musical OMG's are:
1. When I am developing a new song, and I get to a point where I am not figuring out transitions, bridges, endings, voicings, etc. and have the lyrics memorized, I am then able to start developing the delivery of that song and word inflections. That to me is one of the coolest and most rewarding moments for me in the development of a song. As I stop thinking about all the minor details, I am able to let go of having to concentrate on those elements and start letting the delivery and phrasings of how stuff is delivered and I just love it. It is for me, the greatest part of the song development process as the basics are now in muscle/brain memory and I am able to let loose on performing it rather than developing it.

2. Finding a song that I have loved and sang along to for decades and to now be able to play it and add my own vibe and feel to it. It is very much related to #1 here, but is very different in the sense that it is not mine. I will admit that much of my approach is a "lazy" method, as I will often skip any parts that I find too complex or too much work and simply deliver what I can, the best that I can. I am also choosing the easiest material known to man for the most part ;~)) But what a rush to play and sing these songs that have been in my head and my heart for so long ;~)) I now have a collection of over 700 songs I have in my list of ones I would like to play/perform and the list is still growing. I have ~100 of them to a point where I am comfortable with my performance of them, another ~100 or so that I am still working on getting to that level, and then ~500 on the list of ones to tackle. Anyway, such a rush to take those songs and bring them to life with my own voice and playing. As of 2020, I probably had 5 or 6 songs of others that I could play, along with a couple of my own. I know some people think that songs should sound exactly like the original artist who made them, but for me, creating my own version of others work is much more rewarding than trying to sound like the original (what fun is there in that?)!

So what about you? What are your epiphany moments in the music world? What makes you want to do more? Any stories of "greatest moment ever" musically?

Last edited:
That moment when you’re collaborating and the other person/people elevate your idea to someplace you never woulda got to on your own.

Also: Background/backup vocal sessions are my absolute favorite time.

It’s like the cake is already baked and you’re adding frosting and sprinkles

Most Times I Hear Everything All At Once. Guitar Riff, Bass Lines, Drums, Cymbals, All Of That. The Toughest Thing For Me Is Separating Them And Working On The Individual Pieces To Get It To Completion. I Am A Perfectionist And Very Meticulous Yet I Get Ideas After Ideas So Often Times I Need To Bank Those Ideas And Slow Things Down And Work Through Them. It Is A Push/Pull Type Of Thing A Lot Of Times. In My Mind It Would Be Great If I Could Actually Play All The Instruments Together At The Same Time But I Haven't Figured Out How To Do That Yet. :)

I Like All The Various Phrases. The Beginning Is Great Because You Have A Starting Place. Then Ending Is Nice Because You Have Completed Something And That Is Also Nice. For Me, The Middle Kind Of Floats Around A Bit Yet It Is Still Very Much Enjoyable. I Love All The Various Phases And Processes. The Key Is Learning How You Work And Being Comfortable Enough To Cooperate With Yourself In The Process. That Took Me Some Time. If It Isn't There, I Don't Force It. If It Is, I Work Away And Strike While The Iron Is Hot. :)

I think the first time I was playing with a group and I started playing a solo and it just came out of my fingers and I did not know where .. it freaked me out and I stumbled a bit at the OMG moment. That was 40 years ago , I've since learned to try to be "present in the moment" always and let the music flow straight from the soul without fear. When those moments happen in a Jam .. well .. that's what I live for

Oh I love that ~ Back when my daughter (32) was about 3 she came in the studio right as I was finishing up recording a version of Steve Earle's " Nothing but a Child" .. and says in her cute lil voice .. Papa , ...Papa ... I kept it in the cut .. it was perfect timing right at the end .. Magic memory

The absolutely very best thing ever:

Over the 60 years I have been playing in bands a number of children
have taken up the guitar because they saw me play and told their parents,
"I want to do that."

This is good too:

When you have a magical moment and play a solo that is so far above
your level that it couldn't possibly be you but it is. When you are done
and everyone you know is looking at you like you have 3 heads because
that solo could not have possibly come out of you. 60 years of playing
and I can count those moments on 1 hand. Those are among my favorites.

This has nothing to do with the thread:

I like the little guitar "orchestration"
in the middle of Still the One by Orleans.
Most people don't even realize that it's there.

Last night qualified as one.. I pulled off something I've been wanting to do a long time. Get someone who has never played an instrument OR been up on an stage to play ..Not only did she love it , I got 3 other newbies to break the ice . All got applause , and all were grinning like a kid on christmas. " I didn't realize how much FUN this is !!"

Giving the gift of making and sharing music gives the very greatest memories

Back