Faulty PRS SE Custom 24

thewirefence

Hi all,

I recently bought an SE Custom 24 with great expectation, hoping to make a move from a beginner guitar towards a higher-end instrument.

However, the guitar I received has some severe issues with the CNC routing of the pickup pockets as well as the bridge positioning.

prs-se.jpg

What do you think? Is this an outlier? Should I get a replacement or ask for my money back and wait until I can buy an American PRS? I'm worried if I get a replacement there will be some other issue, as QC seems a disaster.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I recently bought an SE Custom 24 with great expectation, hoping to make a move from a beginner guitar towards a higher-end instrument.

However, the guitar I received has some severe issues with the CNC routing of the pickup pockets as well as the bridge positioning.

prs-se.jpg

What do you think? Is this an outlier? Should I get a replacement or ask for my money back and wait until I can buy an American PRS? I'm worried if I get a replacement there will be some other issue, as QC seems a disaster.

Thanks!
Talk to the dealer.

That is badly assembled to be sure and the dealer should take care of you. I own three SEs and the are all well made. You don’t need to by a US guitar to get something assembled well. The SEs are known for consistently good quality. You got a lemon to be sure.

If you are unhappy with the guitar return it MOST folks love the SE guitars.
to be honest I don't see the issue from that picture

I think it is the bridge which isn't centred.
If you look at the high and the low e strings on the neck you
see that the high e string is closer to the edge of the fretboard.

I wouldn't go as far as severe or disaster but the bridge does look off. A new guitar I would exchange but probably could be persuaded to keep it. A used I wouldn't think too much about it unless there were playing issues or I overpaid.

SE are good guitars and wouldn't fear getting another.

Kinda looks like the bridge is slightly off center, but slightly. By my eye, maybe a millimeter off to the left. Bridge pickup location would look right given the bridge was positioned just a hair left. In any case, not a major deal. If the strings are not precisely over the pole pieces, its really a non-issue, you'll still get the same output regardless. To me, its more for aesthetics. They never line up right anyway since neck/bridge spacing is typically the same on these stock pickups. Honestly, if she plays good and the truss rod works, its no biggie imo.

If you really want to take it back, that's gonna be thru the dealer.

Pictures can do odd things with angles, but that bridge looks off center.

It doesn’t matter what brand it is, return it. A new guitar should be right, straight from the box. I proper dealer would have seen this on inspection and rejected it before you ever saw it. Make sure you buy from an authorized dealer, if buying new, just for the protection of warranty.

Thought I'd do a comparison with my SE Paul's Guitar. Bear in mind, the strings on mine do not perfectly line up with the polepeices either, but the poles on each pickup are spaced the same so the string spacing above the neck pup will be "tighter" than at the bridge. It'll be the same on yours too, BUT the bridge is definitely off by a tiny amount. The main concern is that you have less real estate on the fretboard for your high E than normal, which could lead to inadvertently yanking the string off the fretboard as you play. Again, if she plays well and it doesnt hinder your playing style, its a quirk that can be ignored. However, if you can get a replacement, I would suggest it in that case. I am a bit surprised that made it past QC.
5YgeJFk.jpg

Back