Eagles

Well in the mid 80’s I was listening to Eagles, MJ and Maiden, so I guess my listening tastes are diverse!

Me too!!! As a little kid, my mom was jamming the Eagles. I had "Thriller" - and BECAUSE of the song "Beat It" I started looking for "heavier" stuff. My great aunt was SCANDALIZED when we went to Peaches and I wanted to buy "Killers" (TOTALLY based on the album cover, lol). Caused a big row between her and my mom:

"Well, if you're going to let him but what he wants, you can't tell him NO when he picks it!!!!!"

"It's my $10!!!! That album looks TERRIBLY violent for a young boy - how can they even SELL something like that?!?!?! OHHHHHH, worker-boy....HOW can you SELL THIS obscene non-sense?!?!"

"Uh, First Amendment, lady. It's actually a good record."

Lol....the early 80s......

Me too!!! As a little kid, my mom was jamming the Eagles. I had "Thriller" - and BECAUSE of the song "Beat It" I started looking for "heavier" stuff. My great aunt was SCANDALIZED when we went to Peaches and I wanted to buy "Killers" (TOTALLY based on the album cover, lol). Caused a big row between her and my mom:

"Well, if you're going to let him but what he wants, you can't tell him NO when he picks it!!!!!"

"It's my $10!!!! That album looks TERRIBLY violent for a young boy - how can they even SELL something like that?!?!?! OHHHHHH, worker-boy....HOW can you SELL THIS obscene non-sense?!?!"

"Uh, First Amendment, lady. It's actually a good record."

Lol....the early 80s......

Too funny! I remember bringing that album home in '81. I got side eye looks from the parents. I bought it for the same reason as you!

I personally can't stand the Eagles. I tell people this and they think I'm joking. My problem is most of their stuff is akin to Lacroix beverages. It's like they shipped a bunch of blank records next to some rock and the result is whatever you call an Eagles song.

Well, I can listen to most of their music, especially the Joe Walsh stuff, but I'm not big fan.

In the late late '70's I went to an outdoor show with Little River Band, Heart, and The Eagles. After Heart rocked the place, The Eagles came on and bored us all. People were leaving!

I personally can't stand the Eagles. I tell people this and they think I'm joking. My problem is most of their stuff is akin to Lacroix beverages. It's like they shipped a bunch of blank records next to some rock and the result is whatever you call an Eagles song.

Well, I can listen to most of their music, especially the Joe Walsh stuff, but I'm not big fan.

In the late late '70's I went to an outdoor show with Little River Band, Heart, and The Eagles. After Heart rocked the place, The Eagles came on and bored us all. People were leaving!

I get you guys, but man, the harmonies! I could watch "The History of the Eagle" over and over, and I'm not that big of a fan.

Well, blame Heart - they rocked! So when The Eagles did "Take It Easy", or Schmit starts into "I Can't Tell You Why", it was a let down!

Dude, f@ck these guys who are gonna dispute you, you know I got your back.

Edit: I'm slightly tipsy, so my use of expletives isn't really to be taken too seriously, but seriously enough.

"Tipsy" ... Wow!
I'm 48 and I haven't heard that word since my Grandma ... Love You Gandma.

would that i had more than one ‘like’ to give. anyone ever listen to hotel california besides the one song?

I get you guys, but man, the harmonies! I could watch "The History of the Eagle" over and over, and I'm not that big of a fan.

Don't take this as me being "snooty" or "uppity." I have a degree in music so after studying music basically from 1300ish to present the harmonies/harmonic content of the Eagles seems to leave a lot to be desired.

whoa, 700 years of harsh burn in that review, will ‘the Eagles’ retort??

Don't take this as me being "snooty" or "uppity." I have a degree in music so after studying music basically from 1300ish to present the harmonies/harmonic content of the Eagles seems to leave a lot to be desired.

I’d rank the Doobies ahead of the Eagles for harmonizing.

Last edited:
nonsense ...

I was thinking last night while in the middle of playing "Take it Easy" that I could do an analysis of the harmonic and melodic structure to prove that 1.) the harmonic content of that composition is "weak" and 2.) it shares similar functional harmony to a variety of modern pop songs and a few "country" songs like Wagon Wheel.

But then I thought "oh it doesn't matter because at the end of the day, people like what they like and no analysis will change their opinion."

[QUOTE=But then I thought "oh it doesn't matter because at the end of the day, people like what they like and no analysis will change their opinion.

Touche

The harmonic content of the instrumental music is straight forward. It's rock music and is not meant to be anything else. It's disingenuous to complain about something being exactly as it was intended. I don't complain that a burger and fries is not as rich in taste and experience as a fine dining meal.

Back