Eagles

It's rock music and is not meant to be anything else. It's disingenuous to complain about something being exactly as it was intended...

A fair point. I don't like the Eagles for 2 very specific reasons. The first is the music, to me it seems boring and uninspired both in composition and performance. The second is the "super fans" who go on believing the Eagles are the pinnacle of musicianship and songwriting.

The latter of which is an opinion which I'm am obligated to deeply respect as someone who has a taste for a wide variety of music and understand there will be disagreements among people because what they like is personal. What bothers me is the people who, after a brief exposition on my avoidance of the eagles, decide to tell me that I'm wrong and I don't know what I'm talking about; it's very one-sided and the majority of Eagles fans I've encountered fall in line with that camp.

I respect what they did; it's hard work. Very hard work. I respect their success although I don't completely understand why they were successful (perhaps good marketing and branding.) I just do not find anything they've been a part of appealing.

A fair point. I don't like the Eagles for 2 very specific reasons. The first is the music, to me it seems boring and uninspired both in composition and performance. The second is the "super fans" who go on believing the Eagles are the pinnacle of musicianship and songwriting.

The latter of which is an opinion which I'm am obligated to deeply respect as someone who has a taste for a wide variety of music and understand there will be disagreements among people because what they like is personal. What bothers me is the people who, after a brief exposition on my avoidance of the eagles, decide to tell me that I'm wrong and I don't know what I'm talking about; it's very one-sided and the majority of Eagles fans I've encountered fall in line with that camp.

I respect what they did; it's hard work. Very hard work. I respect their success although I don't completely understand why they were successful (perhaps good marketing and branding.) I just do not find anything they've been a part of appealing.

A VAST majority of "music lovers" can't be bothered to actually learn about music. It's their loss. However, it doesn't make them wrong. They enjoy what they enjoy.

If you analyze the Eagles from a technical construction standpoint the results are going to be "pop publum". So what? You're allowed to hate on them for precisely the same reasons that others love them. Doing an analysis of their music from a technical standpoint is not going to change any fan's opinion. This is an example where two opposing ideas can be equally valid and correct.

Any band's "super fans" are irritating. Even bands I LOVE have fans that make me scratch my head. Meh....

Whether you like it or not, it's art. Art inspires in different ways. The Eagles executed their vision as well as anyone has. Their vision may have been one-dimensional, but they executed it. I also think their story is quite compelling and is fascinating in terms of the popular music business.

Finally, while it's not a technical masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, I quite like, "I Can't Tell You Why". It's a very sparse song with absolutely no pretense. It's not meant to be anything more than a "Hallmark Card" of a song and I think it does this very well. Out of the wildly overplayed Eagles catalog, I still haven't gotten tired of this song. Additionally, I think the guitar tone for the solo is "just right". Capturing that tone at that time in that way for that song is an example of something that is well done, and I can always appreciate something that is done well.

A VAST majority of "music lovers" can't be bothered to actually learn about music. It's their loss. However, it doesn't make them wrong. They enjoy what they enjoy.

If you analyze the Eagles from a technical construction standpoint the results are going to be "pop publum". So what? You're allowed to hate on them for precisely the same reasons that others love them. Doing an analysis of their music from a technical standpoint is not going to change any fan's opinion. This is an example where two opposing ideas can be equally valid and correct.

Any band's "super fans" are irritating. Even bands I LOVE have fans that make me scratch my head. Meh....

Whether you like it or not, it's art. Art inspires in different ways. The Eagles executed their vision as well as anyone has. Their vision may have been one-dimensional, but they executed it. I also think their story is quite compelling and is fascinating in terms of the popular music business.

Finally, while it's not a technical masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, I quite like, "I Can't Tell You Why". It's a very sparse song with absolutely no pretense. It's not meant to be anything more than a "Hallmark Card" of a song and I think it does this very well. Out of the wildly overplayed Eagles catalog, I still haven't gotten tired of this song. Additionally, I think the guitar tone for the solo is "just right". Capturing that tone at that time in that way for that song is an example of something that is well done, and I can always appreciate something that is done well.

Here's my take: I'm a bigger fan now than I was when it was actually happening. Sure, I heard Eagles songs all the time in the late 70s and early 80s, but that is it. I only heard them. At that point in my life, between the ages of 10 and 18 I would have been deeply listening to Rush, Deep Purple. Sabbath, Ozzy, Priest, et al. Not so much enthralled with the Eagles.

Today, totally different story. I don't really care how "technical" the music is. If it's cliche, boring, over done, etc. Now, when I hear an Eagles song, I appreciate the "story" of the song. They evoke a certain feeling that takes me back to my youth, and makes me remember it fondly. I think they're great at what they do. Right now, that is move me. Connect on a different level. Make me feel good. At the end of the day, that's what I call good music.

Here's my take: I'm a bigger fan now than I was when it was actually happening. Sure, I heard Eagles songs all the time in the late 70s and early 80s, but that is it. I only heard them. At that point in my life, between the ages of 10 and 18 I would have been deeply listening to Rush, Deep Purple. Sabbath, Ozzy, Priest, et al. Not so much enthralled with the Eagles.

Today, totally different story. I don't really care how "technical" the music is. If it's cliche, boring, over done, etc. Now, when I hear an Eagles song, I appreciate the "story" of the song. They evoke a certain feeling that takes me back to my youth, and makes me remember it fondly. I think they're great at what they do. Right now, that is move me. Connect on a different level. Make me feel good. At the end of the day, that's what I call good music.

What he said “the soundtrack of our youth”!

"Lyin' Eyes" is one of a few Eagles songs I really like - exactly what you said, bodia - telling a story.

Picking up Vince Gill wasn’t a bad move either imo. Fwiw I’m mostly a fan because my dad was. So he had some of their albums and I got to listen to those quite a bit when I was younger. I think it is their story telling as much as anything that people latch on to. But can totally understand those that don’t get them.

However the weirdest one I know is a band director I had in college. He also taught the American pop music class. We started in early delta blues and went up until current music. I would have thought he would have been a big eagles fan. We get to the 70’s/80’s era. He mentions them. Said they were too county for him and moved on. Almost as funny as when he got to Garth brooks. He just said you all lived that. Can’t add anything to it. Fwiw this was around 2000. And yes I was a huge Garth fan.

Back