E Flat Tuning and String Brands

WeFixFlats

Respect The Clave
I did a search and didn't find anything. This would be for a 25 1/2" scale guitar. Just wondering what make and model of string sets(not a custom set) that folks have used for that Hendrix/SRV setup. Thanks~!

You can always use http://stringtensionpro.com/ to figure out exact tensions.

I don't personally tune down (...much, occasionally tune my 7 to A-E-A-D-G-B-E, which hardly counts), so not speaking from experience here, but I would just use slightly higher gauge than I usually do. And I'm usually pretty middlin', so in my case I would go up from 10s to 11s, or if I was using my 9.5s, I'd go up to 10s.

Hopefully someone with more experience will pipe in.

I use D'Addario XL115 for Eb standard and Drop Db. I could probably go to 0.012's and have similar tension to 0.010 in E standard. I believe Stevie played 0.013's in Eb, which should be similar to 0.011 in E standard.

I'm totally a Eb standard kinda guy. I don't think you necessarily need a change in string gauge to detune a half step. Might need a quarter turn of the truss rod after it settles, but maybe not even that. In particular, 10s in Eb is just rock and roll. Fluff might need a different gauge, though, since he uses Ernies. ;-)

Jimi and SRV were totally different animals with regard to string gauges, though both liked a heavier bass E string than the rest of their set. Jimi reportedly used banjo strings on his trebles because super light strings weren't invented yet, everything had a wound G back then. SRV used 13-60 "telephone wires"... I bet you could probably go win an archery competition with his old axes if they were left at tension all these years.

Right now I have a spare set of

exl-115: 11-14-18-28-38-49

thinking of either:

dean markley: 11-13-20-30-42-52

or

ghs: 11-14-19-28-40-52

really want that 'heavy' bottom so there's no flab, and can really attack the low end...

I think going from E to Eb would not require a string change unless you are already on 9's, otherwise the truss rod should handle it fine.

According to Roger Mayer, Jimi used .010 - .038.

According to Rene Martinez, Stevie mostly used .013 - .060.

For a Strat, I like the Stevie approach of the heavy low strings, so I've been happy with D'Addario 10-52 or a custom set of 11-54 (just one gauge higher on each string). D'Addario 11-52 would work fine too, but wasn't around back when I used bigger strings.

On 25" scale PRS, I've been fine with regular D'Addario 11-49 all the way down to D.

From a tension standpoint, a set of 11's in Eb would be about the same or maybe a touch more than 10's in E. I would play to the tension rather than the tone - if you're playing a strat, or something with a maple neck, you're not going to have a problem keeping things tight and snappy, no matter what gauge you use. And the thing about heavy gauges on a 25.5 scale, is they're stinkin tight!

I would play to the tension rather than the tone

I think that's the advice I've been seeking. Given that, we'll start with the string set that's already bought and paid for...the EXL 115's and experiment from there.

Thanks a lot for the replies.

I like EB light top/heavy bottoms. No flub on low E. Downtunes to C or D comfortably. D'Addario has a similar set too.

We'll up date this thread once my tech and I experiment with the one standard set of EXL-115's installed on this 25.5" scale guitar tuned down to E Flat.
Need to balance tone and tension, meaning some trial and error on my end at the shop.

Back