Dual Output Noise In Piezo System

ElrytNamrogo

My name be scrambled
Has anybody found a good solid way to eliminate noise from the piezo output leaking into the mag output on their dual output guitars like a P24 or HBII?

When I run the dual output, I get hum/ground noise from the piezo side of my piezo-equipped guitars and am looking to find a remedy. The noise, of course, is less intrusive if I'm running my mag pickups into a clean channel. But as soon as I add just a touch of gain to my amp, it gets all kinds of noisy. Unplugging the piezo kills the noise immediately.

Curious if anybody else has run into this issue and how they solved it.

Thanks!

Sounds like you have a ground loop in your piezo rig. If you can run your dedicated piezo output clean to another amp, it’s not the guitar. Look for ground loops in your power supply to your piezo rig.

Cool, thanks!

Generally, my piezo runs through a tuner, BodyRez, and then a small multi-effects unit, then straight to the PA. I'll try omitting various units in that chain to see if I can pin-point which unit(s) may be causing the ground loop.

I have 4 piezo equipped PRS guitars and have gigged them a decent amount. I have never had any sort of hum issue like this with any of them. I typically run the two separate outputs on mine to run separate signals to the board. However, I have used the combined output and have not had this issue.

I have 4 piezo equipped PRS guitars and have gigged them a decent amount. I have never had any sort of hum issue like this with any of them. I typically run the two separate outputs on mine to run separate signals to the board. However, I have used the combined output and have not had this issue.
Yeah, I feel like it's kinda intermittent, too....like I've played gigs where it wasn't an issue, but more recently it's been consistently producing this hum through the magnetic side.

I think ViperDoc is on the right track though, because now that I think about it, I've recently switched the piezo rig around to accommodate other acoustic guitars.

Generally, I don't have to use the piezo in live gigs because we also have an acoustic guitar, but I wanted to try it out at a recent gig, where the hum issue was very prominent.

What's your setup regarding your piezo/mag rig?

Yeah, I feel like it's kinda intermittent, too....like I've played gigs where it wasn't an issue, but more recently it's been consistently producing this hum through the magnetic side.

I think ViperDoc is on the right track though, because now that I think about it, I've recently switched the piezo rig around to accommodate other acoustic guitars.

Generally, I don't have to use the piezo in live gigs because we also have an acoustic guitar, but I wanted to try it out at a recent gig, where the hum issue was very prominent.

What's your setup regarding your piezo/mag rig?
I run the mag output to my pedal board. The piezo output goes to a Fishman Aura then XLR to the board. I also use a Fly Rig Acoustic in the place of the Aura and then XLR to the board from that. Both work great. I like the sound of the Aura better but the Fly Rig gives me a couple of effects and a boost. I really wish I could combine both of them.

I bought an FM9 last year and set it up to run both inputs into it and run them in separate signal paths then to one XLR out to the board. I have not played any gigs with this solution yet but it seems like it will work for what I want.

I use the piezo by itself as well as along with clean tones from the mag output. I don't think there is anywhere that I use the piezo with the OD tones from my pedal board. It is really nice to be able to have the piezo and clean electric sounds at the same time. It makes the band sound bigger and gives more interesting things to listen to. One example is that I play the whole song of Friends In Low Places pretty much by myself. I start out on acoustic and drop right into OD guitar then boost with a bit more gain for the solo then back to OD. I then drop back to acoustic for the end of the song. People can't believe I am doing all of that on one guitar.

Last edited:
One example is that I play the whole song of Friends In Low Places pretty much by myself. I start out on acoustic and drop right into OD guitar then boos with a bit more gain for the solo then back to OD. I then drop back to acoustic for the end of the song. People can't believe I am doing all of that on one guitar.

I have to ask... Where are you playing that people aren't just screaming the words and random "woooos" during that song while drenching themselves in alcohol trying to dance?

One example is that I play the whole song of Friends In Low Places pretty much by myself. I start out on acoustic and drop right into OD guitar then boos with a bit more gain for the solo then back to OD.

Keep practicing that solo and you'll turn those boos to cheers in no time!!!

im-good-enough-im-smart-enough.gif

I have to ask... Where are you playing that people aren't just screaming the words and random "woooos" during that song while drenching themselves in alcohol trying to dance?
That song is definitely a crowd favorite.

Keep practicing that solo and you'll turn those boos to cheers in no time!!!

im-good-enough-im-smart-enough.gif
I play the song pretty much note for note. However, I see the typo now. :)

Back