Drop D question?

markm

CE Fan
Is either better to play in Drop D, 1/2 step down:
A 22 or 24 fret?
Both strung with 10s.

Just curious.... and trying to learn something.

Thanks

Personal Preference. I assume they both have 25' scale. The neck pickup is closer to the bride on the 24 and it has 2 extra frets, that's the only difference.

Depends on the setup of your guitar as well. Drop D down a half step isn't really much but if you have really low action it might not be great

Our band tunes 1/2 step down, and we do 2 or 3 dropD songs. I find that my Strats work better for those. I have used my PRSi many times for it, but there is no doubt the string feels a bit floppier. (I use 9.5's)

If you're just going to have a Drop Db guitar I'd set it up with 10-52 or light top heavy bottom, really keeps the low strings tight for the tension.

As for the 2 guitars, doesn't matter assuming they're both 25" scale. You may find one sounds better for it, but that's personal preference.
If you're just going to have a Drop Db guitar I'd set it up with 10-52 or light top heavy bottom, really keeps the low strings tight for the tension.
Agreed! I actually use those strings in standard and drop D tunings and love them. I like the girth on the wound strings.

I would change to at least 11's...I have EB cobalt 11's on all my guitars and my D-half down has a bit of fret buzz on the bottom string...not too bad, u can only hear it unplugged, but I'll go to a 50 or 52 at some point.

I have had buzzing on the low E string when using drop D tuning with .10 gauge strings - good news is that I cannot hear the buzzing through my low wattage tube amps.

Agree with the 11/10-52 gauge string. From experience, they will be sloppy/slinky. Some may like that but for me the tone is too week and with the heavier gauge, you can somewhat make up for it.

I do a lot of covers that are tuned half step dropped on both my SE Bernie and SE CU24 stringed with 10s. They feel great for me but it's best on the CU24.

Back