Dragon 1s vs \m/ pickups

Jaybird

Hey guys I'm new to the forums and I was just wondering if I could get some insight from more veteran players. I recently just got a set of Dragon 1 pickups for my se cu24 but after thinking about it I want to try the \m/ pickups seeing as I play mostly metal and hard rock (high gain stuff). The only problem is the price. If they are worth it then I don't mind shelling out the cash for it. But I have this feeling that they sound similar to the dragons at which point I wouldn't bother. So my question is would it be worth swapping out the dragons for the \m/'s or just keep it the way it is. I've found some demos on YouTube for the \m/ but I can't seem to get a real gauge of their sound.

I can't speak to the Dragon 1 pickups, as I haven't tried them, but I'll give you my 0.02 on the rest since we seem to play similar music. Most of the time I play through a 6505+ with a Maxon OD808 for a little extra gain (cause you can never have enough). :rock: I have tried all of the newer PRS pickups in McCarty thickness mahogany bodied models (with the exception of the 59/09, oddly), and I prefer the 57/08. The \m/ pickups are good with good pick attack and clarity, but I find the 57/08s to have better sound saturation and high end bite (if all of this colorful language helps). If you play a lot of djent (which I don't), the \m/ pickups may make more sense. Hopefully someone that has tried the Dragon I pickups can give you some more comparison info. There is also a good PRS pickup comparison video by Chris Reynolds that is helpful.

Everyone seems to say the 57/08 are the best ever lol maybe I'll snag a set of those if I could. I'll go check it that video.

The Dragon Is are pretty high output, and have a warm midrange focus. The \m/s are slightly hotter, but have a wider frequency response. I think the 57/08s are actually darker than the \m/s, so it's probably down to what frequencies we as individuals think of as "bright". Rolling down the volume on the \m/s gets very close to 59/09 or 57/08 territory, IME.

If I had to generalize, I'd say the Dragon Is are best for a smooth, soaring lead, whereas the \m/s have more articulation with gain and not as much warm mid emphasis. I'm basing this on a '95 Cu22 that I haven't owned for about a year as compared to \m/s that I currently own, so... uh, what was I saying again?

;-)

thanks guys now its come to do i keep the dragons in or do i swap them for 57/08s, 50/09s, or \m/s ??? decisions decisions

You didn't say if you liked the change when you went to Dragon 1's. I love D1's

oh i loved the change best pickups ive ever had, im just wondering if PRS makes pups that can compare and maybe surpass?

I nabbed a set of 57/08's about 3 years ago and have never regretted it. I've not tried all the PRS pickups, but many said when they came out that they were the best PRS had made to date (at that time), and I can see why. Full-bodied and rich would be my description, and they play well with any style, even modern high gain rock tones. I would take them with a boost pedal over high output pickups any day.

My 94 Cu22 has Dragon I's and is tuned to D standard - DGCFAD. I run it into a Fryette Sig:X or a Soldano SLO boosted with a MXR GT-OD.
They excel at HIGH gain. :rock:

If you want modern metal/hard rock sounds, I probably wouldn't go after the 57/08s. 59/09s might be alright for you but the three best high gain pickups from PRS are the Dragon 1s, the Tremonti set, and the \m/ set. I can't speak for the Dragon 1s as I've never heard them in person, but I prefer the \m/ set to the Tremonti set. As much as I love Mark Tremonti's sound in Alter Bridge, I find that the \m/ set just has a fuller sound to my ears. YMMV

You're sitting good with the Dragon 1's. They're great pickups for what you're after. I think I prefer the \m/ treble pickup slightly to the D1. On the other hand, our buddy QueenCityGuitars - prefers the Dragon. I will say, that I love the 5909 and 5708 pickups. A lot. I tend to like them better in thicker bodied guitars like the SC or McCarty. As an example, I have the \m/ pickup in a McCarty standard and 5909 in an SC. They're all great pickups. I think in the SE CU24, I'd stick with the Dragon 1 or \m/.

Thanks I just picked up a set of the old 57/08 (non engraved) so I'll do an A/B to see what I like. All the rave about them, I had to try a set for myself

I'm always looking to try something new so even though I love my dragons I wouldn't mind trying something else that I might like even more

Thanks I just picked up a set of the old 57/08 (non engraved) so I'll do an A/B to see what I like. All the rave about them, I had to try a set for myself

I have a friend who put 57/08's in a Mira and didn't care for them. He said they didn't go well with his rig. He put the Mira's back in and found "his tone" again. It's the second time I've heard that PAF style pups don't do as well as more modern stuff with some amps.

Dtagon 1s would be the best choice for metal. I haven't seen output values on the Ms but I have both and i love both.If I was going to play metal dragon 1s hands down. HFS would be good for metal as well.

I have and love 5708s but I think you would be unhappy with those.

I've read all the posts again and would like to add a few more comments.

I play a peavey 5150 but I don't use od pedals. I use amp od. Last saturday night at our gig I had gain set just below 4 and I was playing my cu24 with 5909s. It was soooo sweet! That's what I like, but if you use a fair amount of gain with or without pedals then your results will be different.

Dragon 1s are very hot and sound compressed but are clear.

Ms are not as hot but very balanced and very clear.

5909s are a hot paf. They get bright when you roll back volume. A very nice overdrive tone with a little heat. Might be my favorites.

5708s a little less output than 5909s and can get the closest to a LP sound.
5708 is my favorite neck pickup. Sounds sooo sweet when volume is rolled back a little.

So now I'm curious as to why everyone considers the 57/08s the holy grail of pickups. Haha from what it seems they're kinda meh

Back