Does your sound change over time?

I have gone through more guitars than I can count over the years, and while the number of amps isn’t nearly as ridiculous I have been through a bunch of them too. What has never ever changed is my tone goal.

Other than the occasional Strat type guitar and Deluxe Reverb type amp, my main and unwavering tone goal is a saturated 80’s hard rock/metal tone. Marshalls, Bogners, Mesas, Kemper, etc. have all come and gone but I always turn the knobs till I hear a facsimile of the tone in my head, no matter the amp I try to make them all sound like my idealized version of a Marshall, not necessarily what they deliver best. I have had some good/great guitars and amps over the years that I was hugely satisfied with but they never stuck. I may have more problems than just tone….

I am almost 59 and still want the same exact tone I wanted way back I was 19. I can live with a one trick pony setup forever if it does that trick perfectly. Not sure if that makes closed minded and/or non adventurous, or true to my vision?

Has your tone goals and sound stayed the same over the years, or have you shifted gears completely?
I have a had and still have many guitar playing friends that have been searching and searching , be it through practice, spending obscene amounts of money on gear and /or constantly changing setups and string types. I have one great old friend ,an excellent guitar payer ,that will become satisfied with his tone only to become dissatisfied with it after a month or two .I have often sat down to practice ,and I am sure others have as well ,that after 10 minutes or so get up discussed , hang and up their guitars because they just cant' get their tone or ,their guitar seems slightly out of tune even though in truth it is not. Even the temperature of the room or your hands or changes in humidity can throw ones tone perception off. I've been playing about 44 years and figure If I haven't got the tone in my hands by now it aint gonna happen. As for experimenting with guitars ,amps and effects to get some thing unique and new thats a different story.

Back