Does natural binding darken over time?

kselbee

I have a CU22 that I believe is from 2015 and the binding is noticeably darker than the binding on my 2021 594. Just curious if they darken over time or just differences in the wood or finish?

I would think it does, my 2011 Studio has what I consider darker binding. However my 89 & 98 CU24's have relatively bright/lite binding. I've owned those guitars longer and I do keep my guitars cased when not in use. I'm sure you'll get the proper consensus here. Fine bunch of peeps.

The wood itself can be different colors in its natural state, some darker, some lighter, some yellower, some whiter.

Maple sometimes yellows and darkens when exposed to light. My studio furniture is edged in solid maple, and it's darkened to an almost oak-like shade over the years. Some clear finishes darken, but the 2015 poly or acrylic or whatever they used really doesn't.

I read quite a bit into this. Not in the context of guitars but in the context of chess boards and pieces. What I found out (I ended up on furniture woodwork forums and stuff like that) is that almost every type of wood darkens over time when being exposed to light. The one exception is walnut. Walnut lightens up over time.

That being said, some type of finishes make the wood more 'yellow' over time.

I haven't noticed that happening over time, and some of mine to back to the early 2000s. There are for sure differences just because of natural variations in different pieces of wood. Some are lighter, some darker, some are more red, some are more white etc.

A combination of wood and finish can cause darkening as others have said. Also the opposite can happen and the wood can bleach with light exposure also.

I have an acoustic guitar that has a top that started out blond when I bought it. I has now matured to an attractive honey colour.

Back