Differtens between an SE and an SE Standard

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Berten, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Berten

Berten New Member

Hello everybody. I've recently bought a killer SE 245 (in metallic gold - I know this thread is worthless without pictures, but I have not had the opportunity to have a photo session with the guitar since all I do is go to work, come home and play guitar (yes life is beautiful this way)). It's an amazing guitar and plays wonderfull.
    So after doing some internet searching, I stumbled on a page of somebody reviewing different guitars, mentioning a SE 245 standard. Now I looked on the official PRS site and I was wondering what the big difference is between the SE 245 and now new a SE 245 standard. And which one is better?

2. Mixstar

Mixstar Just too tired . . .

3. IRG

IRG New Member

The Standards are all mahogany body and neck. No maple on the top. Both have a rosewood board. And the new SE Standards are not made in Korea but in Indonesia.

4. Berten

Berten New Member

so it's better to save up a little bit more to buy the reguler SE and not the standard... now i'm looking into the custom 24 collection. found a nice platinum standard for not that much money... but i believe the extra layer of maple on top does a lot to the sound of the guitar, or am i completely wrong for that?

5. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

IMO, it isn't that the Standard is inferior to the SE. Just different. As you alluded to, the maple cap will add some highs to your tone. If you are a guy that loves midrange (like me) you could prefer the Standard.