Differences in wood

welmo

^ Hi, its been a long time since I last visited this Forum. I am looking for differences in wood species. First, between Rosewood and Cocobolo, and second, between mahogany and Obeche, Sipo, and Korina. In every case, are they in the similar vein ( Rosewood, be it Indian, Madagascar, or Brazilian) and Mahogany vs Obeche vs Sipo vs Korina. Please, share your experiences. Thanks in advance.

Rosewood and Cocobolo are very similar acoustically. This based on guitars with Indian, Brazilian and cocobolo necks and guitars with brazilian, madagascar rosewood and cocobolo fingerboards.

Obeche is much lighter than mahogany, but when used as the back of a guitar doesn't make a huge difference in the sound of the guitar - maybe a bit more of a high end.

I agree that RW and Coco are very similar sounding, though based on acoustic guitars having these woods for back and sides, I'd say that on the right guitar Coco might be a little warmer.

As for fingerboards, I've got Madagascar RW, and have also had Brazilian and Indian. Honestly, I have a very hard time telling the difference between these fingerboard woods, though I can easily hear the difference between, say, any RW and maple or ebony.

I haven't had Obeche or Sipo, but I've played a lot of Korina models and have had all-Mahogany. Korina might be a little brighter, hard to say because things vary from guitar to guitar. My general preference is for Mahogany.

Ok guys here's an easy one for you since we're talking about wood.

Two Prs guitars. A DGT and my cu24 ....the cu24 has a really dark board and kinda thinking it might be ebony. It does feel harder too..thoughts ?

No its not an artist. I looked up some old specs of the cu24 and came up with East Indian rosewood for the fretboard. That's why the darkness in color compared to regular rosewood. OR I'm just going crazy lol

No its not an artist. I looked up some old specs of the cu24 and came up with East Indian rosewood for the fretboard. That's why the darkness in color compared to regular rosewood. OR I'm just going crazy lol

On any ebony I've seen you could barely see the pores in the grain. I'd bet that is just a darker rosewood.

It looks like rosewood to me. Rosewood varies in shades though... I've seen it everywhere from super dark to "a-bit-of-cream-in-the-coffee" brown. I agree with @mojo1fan about the visibles pores in ebony - there virtually aren't any.

Back