Difference between the 2 PRS 3 way toggle switches

skarden

G'day guys, I just have a quick question that hopefully someone here might know the answer to.

I recently got a US Custom 24 25th anniversary model which is just a fantastic instrument and sounds amazing but I'm finding that I'm really struggling with the 5 way rotary PU selector, I tried to get my head around it and it's fine for recording but I really can't get my PU switched fast enough for live playing.
So I'm doing the Ol' 5 way rotary to 3 way toggle with push/pull on it.
My question is looking at the 2 PRS original parts is there a difference between the standard 3 way push/pull drop in and the McCarty drop in?
Is it just a different switching/phasing option or is there something else going on there and if anyone has tried both and if there's a big difference in sound?

If anyone has any knowledge or experience with these I'd love to hear from you.
Cheers guys

They are one and the same. The three-way switching system with the push-pull pots for coil splits is actually called "McCarty switching."

There's a slight wiring difference, you can see by comparing the pics. What that difference actually results in I'm not sure.

Maybe shoot an email to customer service

To be honest I like the rotary better than the toggle, it did take a while to get used to the rotary ( setting the knob so the bridge was 10 helped )
but now its easy.
I find pulling up the knob for the push pull harder to do quickly than any of the other switch setups.
One other thing I think the rotary gives you a better in-between ( strat like ) sound than the standard coil tap on the push pull

Cheers for the replies, seems like they're pretty similar but I shoot customer service an email just so I know 100%
I don't mind the rotary and through using it for a few months now it's I'm not too bad with it but I think the 3 way will definitely be easier for me as it's what I've used for 20 years. Old dog new tricks and all that :)

One other thing I think the rotary gives you a better in-between ( strat like ) sound than the standard coil tap on the push pull

Do NOT underestimate this. I am going back from a three-way to the original rotary on my CE24 because of this very fact. The split coil tones suck compared to the in-between rotary settings. They are not the same thing whatsoever.

Back