Did PRS ever use blade switches on early models (86)

banditcosmo

I'm looking at this 86 PRS but it has a blade switch. The seller said he thinks it's original and was custom ordered as he said the finish goes down into the blade switch cavity. It has a 3 way blade and 1 vol and 2 tones. Otherwise it seems to check out. Did PRS do one off customs back in 86?
This guitar color is faded as it was originally whale blue color (labeled in the PU cavity) Seems legit but maybe modded? Knobs don't look original. Sweet top.

BKItJyW.jpg

qdSg8KL.jpg

I'd also guess that it's an aftermarket mod, but it's possibly a one-off for someone who had an "in" with the factory. Maybe. Not enough to go by with only two not-very-good pics.

I would most definitely want detailed pics inside the control cavity. That should give some great insight on originality.

Also, since the guitar is Grey Black, someone could've easily blacked out any freshly cut wood in the slot with a black Sharpie or paint pen to blend it in.

Functionally, I don't see that working so great since the knobs are so close. I'd bet that's why they put on the skinnier metal knobs vs. speed knobs.

I'd also guess that it's an aftermarket mod, but it's possibly a one-off for someone who had an "in" with the factory. Maybe. Not enough to go by with only two not-very-good pics.

I would most definitely want detailed pics inside the control cavity. That should give some great insight on originality.

Also, since the guitar is Grey Black, someone could've easily blacked out any freshly cut wood in the slot with a black Sharpie or paint pen to blend it in.

Functionally, I don't see that working so great since the knobs are so close. I'd bet that's why they put on the skinnier metal knobs vs. speed knobs.
Thanks, yeah I asked him for a pic of the control cavity.

I would want a bunch more pictures of that guitar. The knobs are definitely not stock. I don't think the blade is either. Something looks off to me. I would need to see the guitar out of the case. The shape looks a little off but it could be an optical illusion. The color looks off too. It doesn't look like the typical finish fade. It has way too much darkness in it like the more modern finishes. It definitely does not look like what whale blue looks like when it fades. I would need to see the back as well as closer pictures of the body and headstock.

Back