Dealers in Area - PRS Experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by prs19, Feb 18, 2016.

1. prs19

prs19 New Member

A buddy and I are headed to experience this year. This will be my second and his first. We are both flying into DC early Friday. Which dealers do you recommend visiting on the way/while we wait for the signature event?

Thanks!

2. alexanderraimo

Someone told me to check out Chuck Levins a few months ago when I went on a tour. I think it's about 40 mins away from PRS. They had a pretty nice collection and a lot of guitars that aren't on the sales floor (about a full basement's worth I'm told).

tcb37 likes this.
  3. Drew

Drew New Member

There are stories around about what lurks in Chuck Levins NOS inventory. Some say that they find guitars in that place that they never knew existed :)

alexanderraimo likes this.
  4. Stephen@Chucks

[email protected] Authorized PRS Dealer
    Authorized PRS Dealer

alexanderraimo likes this.
  5. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

It's true. Some of the older items on that ^ list aren't out, they're down in the vault, so you have to ask for them, so I bet -- conversely -- there are some guitars down in the vault that aren't on that list.

Stephen -- you should do an inventory before the big event.

6. Dusty Chalk

Also, Island Music is a bit of a hike, but worth it -- they have some nice stuff.

link relative to PRS

7. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

There are rumors that there are shoppers in there from before the grunge era!

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  8. rocguitar

rocguitar New Member

I can personally confirm that that this "story" is actually true. In 2011, I bought a Brand New 2001 PRS CE 22 Maple Top. I was informed by Chuck's longtime salesman, Paul Schein, that he had volunteered to go through the basement inventory and do some long-needed organization /cleanup. In the process of taking on this momentous task, Paul said he discovered a whole bunch of long-forgotten musical treasures, including my Brand New, 10 year-old, Antique White CE 22!
    I've been a Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center patron since the 1960's, and I think it's accurate to say that "Chuck's" is somewhat of a Legend in it's own time. Definitely worth a visit!!

9. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Chuck's is absolutely worth a visit. I've made a couple stops around PRS visits, and I've bought a couple instruments there. The guys I've dealt with have been very nice.

10. JMintzer

JMintzer Bobble Head Moderator

I've been in the basement of Chuck's... Absolutely amazing!

Back in the day (the mid 70's), I went down there to pick out my Martin D-35. We A-B'd 15 or so of them, keeping one, rejecting another, until I found "the one"...

30+ years later, at one of the old original PRS Forum Events, Meader took me Brian Scherzer and a few others downstairs. It hdn't changed a bit!

11. prs19

prs19 New Member

Well it seems Washington Music Center it is! :) If I don't make it to Experience, can someone check their basement. :)

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  12. rugerpc

rugerpc A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ

I've been to Chuck's, but I don't know the secret handshake that gets you into the basement...

13. Dusty Chalk

Well, I'm pretty sure that those that are in the club aren't supposed to talk about it, so take anyone who says they were there with a grain of salt. ;)

And if there actually are people down there -- leave a trail of breadcrumbs or something! String? Really long string. We're not sending in a search party just to lose more people. I'm pretty sure there's a mummy...

#13 Dusty Chalk, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  14. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Last time I was there, I tried to gain access by saying I knew Jamie.

That was several years ago - haven't been inside since...

15. JMintzer

JMintzer Bobble Head Moderator

That was your first mistake... Dropping MY name...