DC3 BRIDGE PICKUP IS LACKING IN TONE CAPABILITY

teb6800

Is there another pickup I can get to get some balls out of the bridge position in my DC3? I love my PRS guitars I have and never thought I would buy a guitar with PRS on it that disappointed me with the pickups. First time I can say something not quite right with a PRS guitar. My '97 standard 24 and '10 limited custom semi hollow 22 are spectacular. Everything about DC3 spectacular except this bridge pickup position. Weak sounding....no beef to it.

This may be obvious, but have you played with the height? 305 pups tend to be fairly sensitive to height. I love the bridge single coil tone on my 513...

I briefly owned a DC3 that played great, but I didn't get along with it sonically (particularly with the bridge pup). Looking back on it, I think it could have all been solved as suggested above - just by raising the pickups! I think people tend to lower the pups on this guitar to give themselves some picking room, so maybe a few turns of the screwdriver will do the trick. Good luck!

Too high is also a problem because of the magnetic field interaction with the string. Also, don't discount having the pup angled (closer or further away from the high or low strings). That can also affect the tonal balance of the pickup.

Back