Davy Knowles Guitar Lesson

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
A fair number of you know Mr. Knowles from Experience, but for those who don’t, he’s an outstanding blues guitarist, both solo and paying tribute to Rory Gallagher in Band Of Friends (with Rory’s old band mates).

When the pandemic struck, Davy started up Club Quarantine as a way to keep in touch with fans. Various levels of membership brought certain rewards. That has now morphed into Unlocked, which is a monthly subscription thing, a la Patreon, and Davy posts things like a Lick Of The Week and an Album Of The Week.

When I signed up, my wife bought me the level that included a guitar lesson with Davy. I finally did that this past weekend, and it was an utter joy. Once we set up a time, Davy asked me what I wanted to work on. I listed a couple things, plus a couple more “if time permits” ideas. We ended up covering all of them. As great a player as he is, he’s a better person. It was like chatting to someone I’ve known for years. At the end of the lesson, I’d asked about resonators, and he pulled out his 1932 National, talked about what he likes and doesn’t like about it, gave me some advice, and we just chatted in general about them, and before I realized it, 30 minutes had gone by.

If you have any inclination to take a lesson with him, I can’t recommend it highly enough. You won’t be disappointed.

Always seemed a fun guy, though I’ve never met him. It’s always good when that pans out IRL. He’s a great player!

I know that the Internet is full of videos and everything else, but it is still very important to filter the information. I bought a guitar a couple of years ago and really wanted to learn how to play. First you need to want to learn how to play, then learn at least three chords, and find a site where the chords of the songs will be. For example, my main goal was to learn how to play my sister's favorite song for her birthday. But if you set yourself a serious goal of self-development-then a lot will come into play, namely, YOUR DESIRE, your hard work, your love for this business. Well, there are enough different self-help books and training videos on the Internet, for example, the rock guitar books tab, the main thing is your predisposition to this.

Last edited:
Back