When they ask you to compose a Spaghetti Western Soundtrack: Mini Soundtracks #1

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
So as many of us do, I end up composing a lot of tiny musical equivalents of doodles. Unfortunately with the intention of fully refining it out, many of them don't see the light of day. I think I have at least five hundred if not a thousand musical ideas floating around.

While trekking in the Himalayan foothills in the north east Indian state of Sikkim last week, I had an epiphany that instead of keeping them hidden away in my metaphorical drawer, waiting for perfection, perhaps it would be nice to share it in the context of the mood the music provokes in me. Hence the idea of mini soundtracks was born.

To kick off, this is an accidental composition I made a day or two after I got my Strymon Mobius about two or three years ago. I accidentally discovered an effect which I think is a rhythmic tremolo. The Modern Eagle 1 was in my hands and I blindly played something without thinking on top of a loop using the effect. Immediately I got Ennio Morricone vibes. Not something I was going for and not something I could compose if you asked me. Since lightning rarely strikes twice, I quickly got the camera out and recorded it while it was fresh.

In any case, it's short and sweet (only a minute). Hope you like it.

So as many of us do, I end up composing a lot of tiny musical equivalents of doodles. Unfortunately with the intention of fully refining it out, many of them don't see the light of day. I think I have at least five hundred if not a thousand musical ideas floating around.

While trekking in the Himalayan foothills in the north east Indian state of Sikkim last week, I had an epiphany that instead of keeping them hidden away in my metaphorical drawer, waiting for perfection, perhaps it would be nice to share it in the context of the mood the music provokes in me. Hence the idea of mini soundtracks was born.

To kick off, this is an accidental composition I made a day or two after I got my Strymon Mobius about two or three years ago. I accidentally discovered an effect which I think is a rhythmic tremolo. The Modern Eagle 1 was in my hands and I blindly played something without thinking on top of a loop using the effect. Immediately I got Ennio Morricone vibes. Not something I was going for and not something I could compose if you asked me. Since lightning rarely strikes twice, I quickly got the camera out and recorded it while it was fresh.

In any case, it's short and sweet (only a minute). Hope you like it.

I can totally see the rider coming across the dusty plains on his trotting horse! The sun at his back!! A tubleweed rolls across his path as he approacheth!!! Ennio Morricone all the way, good work ;~))

Back