Custom SE 24 model confusion

Rick Spence

Hey guys,

I wonder if anyone can advise? I'm looking at buying PRS SE Custom 24.I like the Spalted maple, and I see options for Exotic top and Vintage Sunburst. Are all spalted maples considered Exotic tops? Or is an exotic top a special type of Spalted maple? I've also seen some numbers next to the for sle listings - such s:

Paul Reed Smith PRS SE Custom 24 Exotic Top Vintage Sunburst Spalted Maple 12930

What is tht 12930 all about? The model number? One final question - are the 2019 models the same as the 2018?

Thanks in advance

Rick

Please take what follows as liable to correction from our more learned PRS members, but I think:

• "exotic" is just a word to grab attention
  • spalted maple is a limited-run top in the Custom 24 SE line (the maple veneer in one of four colors in the norm)
  • vintage sunburst refers to the color/stain scheme put on the spalted maple (e.g. that reddish edge)
  • unfortunately, I could not make out the back of the headstock from the photos so cannot tell whether 12390 is a website # or related to the guitar's serial number
  • I don't know about the 2019 models, but I am not aware of significant changes between 2018 to 2019, but, as the disclaimer, I'll defer to more knowledgeable folks.
Anyway, hope this helps and is not actually incorrect.

12930 would be part of the serial number. Splatted maple would be the so called exotic top, with vintage sunburst as the color. Any other questions, who Cares? BUY IT!

There are several “exotic” tops on SEs, including Zebra, Rosewood, Spalted Maple, Ziricote, etc. Exotic, in this case, is to differentiate from the standard figured flame maple tops usually found on many SEs. All SEs with figured tops, including exotic, use a veneer as the top piece of wood, mostly over a maple top. Spalted previously came in a natural finish, as opposed to the newer Vintage Sunburst.

Wow thanks for such quick responses - I went the movies came back and here we are - all questions answered. I like the Spalted Maple look - and I thought I liked the vintage sunburst but per previous comment I'd like to see the natural finish. I have a Carvin bass which is natural and I prefer it over the shine...I already have 2 PRS Santanas - one I like one so so (I need to sell it). I really like the look of these custom 24s and the coil splitting will be very handy. No tuning problems with these? My Santana needs tuning every few songs...

They seem to be goigng for $829 pretty consistenly on Ebay - lthough this one is a good $120 less - any idea why this would be less?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRS-Paul-R...m=263863762079&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Last edited:
My Spalted Maple SE Cu 24 was on factory closeout at Sweetwater, over $300 less. :)

There are many others in that same finish for much less than the one you linked to, Look around and find a better price.

Mine:

46749342055_3284d982a7_o.jpg

As for your Santana tuning issues, it likely just needs a good setup. Particularly check and adjust the bridge mounting screws to make them all even, lube the nut slots and bridge pivot points, minimum wraps on tuner posts. I’ve had 2 SEs with tuning issues, and the biggest problem was that the bridge mounting screws were uneven. I also put locking tuners on both, lubed the aforementioned spots, and have rock solid tuning stability, even with extreme whammy use. :cool:

Last edited:
Like Shimmilou, I have locking tuners on my SE’s. I’ve also had the nuts replaced with either PRS USA or graph tech. My luthier has done them. Keep in mind that the trem system needs to be tweaked if you change string gauges. They are very good guitars that outclass every thing at their price point. Then later, when the fever has overcome you, you can keep this and get a core guitar. While all of us are price sensitive, play the guitar if you can. If it speaks to you, then you throw down the cash.

Then later, when the fever has overcome you, you can keep this and get a core guitar.

The problem is, this specific fever has the following stage progression:

Incubation: about one day perusing this site (can be 5 minutes if exposed to the Private Stock Friday thread).
Prodromal: about 2-3 weeks. Signs include daily "Reverb" and PRS signature store visits. Color preference variation can be rapid in this stage.
Illness Period: symptoms manifested include contacting places asking for more pictures and details of their shipping/return policy. Facial rictus is evidenced particularly when addressing one's spouse. Material preferences become fixed.
Period of Decline: unknown as yet. Patient presumably either recovers at some point - probably with ongoing side-effects - or enters a terminal phase.

The problem is, this specific fever has the following stage progression:

Incubation: about one day perusing this site (can be 5 minutes if exposed to the Private Stock Friday thread).
Prodromal: about 2-3 weeks. Signs include daily "Reverb" and PRS signature store visits. Color preference variation can be rapid in this stage.
Illness Period: symptoms manifested include contacting places asking for more pictures and details of their shipping/return policy. Facial rictus is evidenced particularly when addressing one's spouse. Material preferences become fixed.
Period of Decline: unknown as yet. Patient presumably either recovers at some point - probably with ongoing side-effects - or enters a terminal phase.

Yup..nailed it. Good news... @LSchefman is our "case study". He's at least a hundred and thirty, so we're thinking he's either a robot or PRS is using water collected from the "Fountain of Youth" to make the Koolaid.

My theory is purely speculative at this point. So, until further studies have been conducted, we can't be sure. I'm thinking about starting a "go fund me" account to fund my scintific research...dang science is cool!;)

Yup..nailed it. Good news... @LSchefman is our "case study". He's at least a hundred and thirty, so we're thinking he's either a robot or PRS is using water collected from the "Fountain of Youth" to make the Koolaid.

My theory is purely speculative at this point. So, until further studies have been conducted, we can't be sure. I'm thinking about starting a "go fund me" account to fund my scintific research...dang science is cool!;)

Actually, with four PS models, a couple of Core/WL models, and a long history buying PRS Cores for 28 years, I’m clearly in the terminal phase Great Gazoo mentioned.

The good news is that the terminal phase is pretty sweet as long as the patient can pay for the treatments. ;)

Actually, with four PS models, a couple of Core/WL models, and a long history buying PRS Cores for 28 years, I’m clearly in the terminal phase Great Gazoo mentioned.

The good news is that the terminal phase is pretty sweet as long as the patient can pay for the treatments. ;)

So roughly 10 PRSi in 28 years? Wait a minute...that's not nearly enough to sustain life that long...o_O

Yep...he's a robot...I KNEW IT!
Nice try robot...:p

Last edited:
Speaking as "patient zero," I was hoping to hear that PRS would be running a trial study on this malady: you know, the sort of thing where the "meds" are provided as part of the research. I'm willing to sacrifice myself for scientific and artistic progress! ::cough, cough:: ;)

Last edited:
So roughly 10 PRSi in 28 years?

Where’d you come up with that number? o_O

I just counted up the ones I could remember and hit 35, but it’s probable there were a few I can’t think of at the moment.

That I have gone through that many beautiful PRSes, all of which were highly desirable, and only have 6 today proves I’m a ridiculously neurotic person. Or robot with programming errors.

It doesn’t matter which.:(

Btw, Rick (OP), I should confess to derailing your thread here to some extent, though hopefully in fun: I trust, though, that you obtained what you needed for clarification re: the spalted maple. FWIW, I have a newly bought Custom 24 SE (see my avatar) and have been enjoying it, and learning to play with it immensely.

No worries - all clear. I've found a brand new Custom SE 24 Spalted Maple with Vintage sunburst 2019 for $699 - free shipping and no sales tax. Just have to convince myself to press the button. I really should sell this $5K Alembic bass which I haven't taken out of the case for 3 years....I just don't like getting rid of stuff! Everything I have ever sold (mostly basses), I regret at some stage.But I only have a 1,200 sq. ft. house....

No worries - all clear. I've found a brand new Custom SE 24 Spalted Maple with Vintage sunburst 2019 for $699 - free shipping and no sales tax. Just have to convince myself to press the button. I really should sell this $5K Alembic bass which I haven't taken out of the case for 3 years....I just don't like getting rid of stuff! Everything I have ever sold (mostly basses), I regret at some stage.But I only have a 1,200 sq. ft. house....

3ea.gif

You guys crack me up. I was playing my strat on a gig this afternoon and I wanted more body in the tone. It's a funny strat btw - only one tone control and doesn't have the slanted jack thingy. I think it's from 1985 or somewhere close to that, Anyway I was think the PRS would have given me more options.

Back