Custom 24 trem setup: flat to surface, tightened springs, dive-only. Okay?

Rachmaninoff

Currently I have my Custom 24 with the tremolo set to float slightly above the guitar surface, with the trem arm really smooth (close to a Floyd Rose feel). This setup, however, has the side-effect of, when I bend a string, the others' pitch going slightly down. I'm totally aware of that, I've played Floyds for decades.

Now I'd like now to try another setup: bridge flat to the guitar surface, and the springs slightly tighter than it would be required to counterbalance the strings. With this, the trem arm will be stiffer and it'll only dive, but I can bend the strings without detuning the others.

I'm new to PRS guitars, so I ask: is there any problem of having the tremolo flat to the body surface, with the tightened springs like I said above?

Thanks in advance.

I would leave the trem as is and I would put small wooden blocks to prevent it from moving.
Or a tremol-no device...
If you really want to lay the trem flat, you must lower the 6 trem screws so that the trem sits nicely in the screws' indentations and tighten the springs as well...

I'd second the wooden block suggestion. I think you can find some instruction on youtube.

I have the tremol-no installed in my Brent Mason signature. There had been some manufacturing issues so there was some give in the first couple of units I tried, which sucked. The third one I got was fine. Installing them is a *****, though, because the prs trem springs are almost welded into the trem block. Managed to dent the finish on the back after sweating over it for half an hour. But it does work fine in my experience. Mind you, my experience is totally locked, not free for diving.

You CAN lower the trem like that, and people have done it. But I wouldn't go that route. You can screw up the trem if you don't know what you're doing. That's not to say you shouldn't do it, but you really should get good, thorough advice from someone who has been there.

On a slightly different note, and I hope this does not sound stupid but I really don't know much about trems. Can a GOTOH EV510TS-BS work in an SE Custom 24, even though it is a 2 point tremolo bridge and the PRS trems are 6 point. If I read right, the 2 point trems are for Strats. I want a black replacement for mine, but that's all I've found so far.

On a slightly different note, and I hope this does not sound stupid but I really don't know much about trems. Can a GOTOH EV510TS-BS work in an SE Custom 24, even though it is a 2 point tremolo bridge and the PRS trems are 6 point. If I read right, the 2 point trems are for Strats. I want a black replacement for mine, but that's all I've found so far.

If you want to replace your S2 trem go to http://guitarvaultusa.com John will set up up

If you screw down the trem and tighten the springs, you won't even be able to dive... At least if it's an SE, Sony know if it's possible on a core.

I did it on my secu24, and it's locked in place (which is what I was going for since I don't use the trem)... If you still want to dive, just got the tremol-no

Well, I have one guitar with a trem and one without. I think the thing to do is learn how to use both to their best advantage. So, I would like to keep (and use) the trem on my SE, just change it to black. I want to change the tuners to black also, as well as the pickup rings and I probably should have posted this under the SE mods thread, but that's why I just mentioned the trem in this thread. I was wondering if anyone knows if the trems are interchangeable. I feel they are not, but just hoping someone here might know for sure.

Anyone else has some experience with the Tremol-no and SE Custom 24? I am considering installing one myself and just wondering if people had more manufacture related issues or whether they have had good experiences with them? I am considering them for the flexibility.

The recommendations of a temol-no are not what the OP wants: Rachmaninoff wants to still be able to dive the trem, just using more force than normal, but prevent string bends from pulling enough on the trem to affect other strings.

Yes, this can be done. Do not change the screws at the front of the trem!

But tighten the spring screws in the trem cavity, and/or add another spring. That will pull the trem back solid against the body, and should allow you to bend strings without it moving, but if you really want you can lean on the trem bar and bring it down. There is a mildly enhanced chance you will stress the trem bar during dives if you make it too tight, so adjust in increments. Adjust the springs after loosening the strings, this will make screw adjustments easier with less tension on them.

You'll need to check your intonation - may impact it ever so slightly - and retune, of course.

That's what I would do, at least.

How many springs do you have on the trem? I use 4, and don`t really have a problems with bends. I like to bend WAY up. I would also consider a trem setter. i`ve just gotten what I wanted out of 4 springs.

The recommendations of a temol-no are not what the OP wants: Rachmaninoff wants to still be able to dive the trem, just using more force than normal, but prevent string bends from pulling enough on the trem to affect other strings.

You can set a tremol-no to dive only.

However, I just found a suitable piece of plastic (couldn't find anything wood) and stuck it with double sided tape between the trem block and the body. I made sure the thickness of the piece of plastic maintained the same angle of the bridge, ie, just a bit away from the body.

This works just fine, and stays in tune with a string break. I tightened the springs slightly too combat the detune effect when bending.

Best of all, I've altered nothing on the guitar itself.

Wow. those seem like great options. I thought about just putting something between the trem and the body, as you have done.
The trem stopper/FU systems seems like it would just do this. I can try what you did first and then add another spring to the trem and see how that goes - i am mostly insterested in drop tunings and of course the guitar not going out of tune if/when the string breaks.

You can set a tremol-no to dive only.
Acknowledged. However, if you have a normally floating bridge and you set it to "Dive-Only" via a Tremol-No, and you bend a couple of strings, won't it pull the trem down a little bit in the same way as leaning slightly on the trem bar? The OP seems to want to avoid this side-effect. I suppose if the OP used a Tremol-No and also tightened up the spring screws, that might be the best solution.

The saddles will have to be raised a lot.That will create more tension on the strings.You need longer saddle adjustment screws.The bridgeplate on a Prs is not the same as a fender type.It is made to pivot on the notched screws floating.Believe me I have tried it.I agree what others say about a wooden block or a tremol-no.To have a tremolo only set for diving and at the same being able to bend notes without changing pitch of other strings is impossible because the trem dives when you bend.You can try to work on your whammy technique compensating the flat notes when doing pedal steel type bends with raising the trem.I know it's not the same but it's a good compromise using a floating trem.

Back