Custom 24 Stoptail Wood Library run?

hord1080

Anyone know what dealer was able to get a Custom 24 Stoptail WL run? I have now seen 2 from this run come up for sale but they didn't say what dealer (just that a dealer had ordered this run, I am guessing of 10). The reason being is it is quite interesting since I asked Brian's and Ish if they could/would do it and they both said they checked and it wasn't allowed. I would like to contact this dealer and see how this came to be! As we all know, these stoptail 24's are so rare, I have my Reverb searches set to find them and they almost never come up. I think if a few dealers came together to get a run going (or just one dealer) they would easily sell out fast. Not sure if this link will work (it sold already) but here it is:

This one was from a while back, and I've worked with multiple dealers and no one is able to make this happen. I had 50 buyers lined up and PRS still wouldn't commit. It really does seem like a stoptail 24 run is very unlikely to happen. It's one of the reasons why I looked into Knaggs guitars. The Keya is their version of the custom 24 with a stoptail bridge, and they allow for a ton of customization to their base model. Plus, Joe ran R&D for PRS for years, ran the private stock department, and is an exceptional luthier. His guitars are works of art and play amazingly well.

Seriously, look into Knaggs Keyas. I have 2 of them and they are gems.

Thanks dude! It's funny I am a secret and fellow Custom 24 stoptail fanatic and I always loved that build you did! I do have a Tim Mahoney SE but the more the merrier! I just don't understand what PRS's hang-up is!

Thanks dude! It's funny I am a secret and fellow Custom 24 stoptail fanatic and I always loved that build you did! I do have a Tim Mahoney SE but the more the merrier! I just don't understand what PRS's hang-up is!
Thanks man! I think COVID had something to do with it, I really do. Like so many others, PRS got behind in production and I'm sure, in many ways, they're still catching up. The build process on a custom 24 stoptail is different than one with a trem because of the neck angle. Fewer options means quicker build times. That's my theory...

I've also heard that when Paul thinks of what a custom 24 is, it has a tremelo and not a stop tail. Much like a Les Paul has a tune-o-matic and a strat has a trem. You find some variations, but you don't alter the core of what makes something what it is. I don't know if Paul actually said this or thinks it, but I could see that being a stance he would take.

Back