Custom 24 setup - move from 9 to 10 guage strings

caprotesta

Hi all,

I have a PRS Custom 24. It has the factory setup, including complete with nine gauge strings. Even with the 9s there are four tremolo springs, and the spring claw is screwed flush with the body, leaving no way to tighten the springs. While the trem is parallel to the body using the 9s, clearly it will be pulled forward with the 10s. I see a couple of options to get the trem parallel after the move up in gauge, but I'm not sure that either one is optimal.

1) Add a 5th spring to the claw. The only finger left on the claw is the middle one (the one the ground wire is soldered on).

2) Use shorter springs. It looks like the PRS trem springs are a little longer than 'standard' ones, of which I have plenty. I could use four of the shorter ones, which would then allow me to unscrew the claw a bit, and hopefully find the right balance. However, it looks like the standard springs are a little thicker than the PRS ones, which would most likely require me to drill out the spring holes on the trem a bit, which I'm way reluctant to do.

Any advice on what else I can do? I don't think messing with the knife edge would be a suitable. There has to be a better way than either of the two options I listed. I found it very strange that the trem needs four springs with the relatively light tension that 9 gauge strings require. Perhaps the stock springs are a little weaker than normal ones. Typically I need four springs for 10 gauge setups.

Thanks for any/all help!

Something is not right. I have a cu24 that came to me with 9s and I switched to 10s without any problems. I did have to adjust the spring claw but not a lot. And I'm tuned a half step down and I have four springs FWIW. I would ask you 1-are you in standard pitch? 2-Does your trem work as intended? 3-could your claw be non prs?

I got 2 CEs in dec and both had claw screwed tight to body to keep trem from floating. I suspect the springs are shot as both have claw about 1/8 inch from body to maintain half step lower with 10s and 4 springs. I asked the question how do you know your springs are shot in a thread on here but nobody responded. If you go to prs website I don't think springs cost too much to purchase.

If you figure it out let me know because I am curious. Thanks

From what I know, PRS guitars with trems come standard with 4 springs, no matter the gauge. If you're reluctant to do it yourself, bring it to a tech that you trust. But it's pretty simple stuff actually, no big deal. If you're switching to 10s, just tighten the trem claw screw a couple of turns. Adding the 5th spring might require you to adjust the screws as well, so you might have to do it either way.

edit: Oh, and I've always thought USA PRS guitars are factory-fitted with 10s. Is your guitar an SE or USA model?

1. I am in standard pitch.

2. The trem does work as intended.

3. I suppose either the claw or springs could be non-PRS, but I doubt it, as I purchased it new. I bought a new set of PRS springs and am waiting for them to be delivered. I'll replace all four (in case the current ones are shot), and if that doesn't work, I'll try adding one of the old ones as a fifth and see if that gets it in line.

I'll report back once I've done this.

I'm pretty sure that I've got a USA model. Have they always been fitted with 10s? I bought mine back in 1998 or so.

At some point in the not-so-distant past the USA models came with 9's...at least some of them. Not sure of the transition period. Maybe new springs could fix your dilemma...try that first...I haven't heard of the claw in the rear cavity being maxxed out either...???

I finally got the new springs. I was having trouble removing the old ones, so I just decided to add a fifth one. The problem is now solved. The trem. is parallel with the body, and in addition there is a little space to make adjustments to the claw if necessary. This was an interesting problem I've never encountered before, but at least everything ended well...

Well maybe I am missing something here but Custom 24 comes with 10' s from Factory. Only SE series ( Including the Custom 24 ) comes with 9's. I have a PRS Custom 24 and a SE. The 24 came with 10's and the SE with 9's....

When I first started buying PRS (U.S.) guitars in 1999-2000, they came with .009s. Some years later, they changed to .010s, but I'm not sure exactly when that happened.

All of my PRS guitars now have .010s, except for a 2000 McCarty Soapbar that had .009s from the factory. That guitar sounds and plays so well that there's no reason for me to change it. It obviously feels a little slinkier than the others, but that's OK.

Last edited:
Hello guys...I have a question for you :)
I have a PRS SE custom 24 and I'm interesting to know how to switch from 09 strings to 010 strings.
From what I understood, to do that is necessary to adjust the springs. But after doing this, how I can setup the action with new strings (010)?
I had thought to work with screws of the bridge. But, do you know if it possibile to do that?

Glad it worked for you, 10's are going to give you a good solid setup & tone.

Thanks. Do you know if I can completely screw the bridge to the body (flat position)?

Hello guys...I have a question for you :)
I have a PRS SE custom 24 and I'm interesting to know how to switch from 09 strings to 010 strings.
From what I understood, to do that is necessary to adjust the springs. But after doing this, how I can setup the action with new strings (010)?
I had thought to work with screws of the bridge. But, do you know if it possibile to do that?
I'm not sure what you are asking, so if this answer sounds not right, you know why...

If you put on 10s in place of the 9s, you usually just need to adjust the amount of tension the tremolo springs are pulling on the bridge - tighten up the screws holding the spring claw by a turn or so. Maybe less, maybe more.

Usually a change to the action is not required. But if you need to adjust the height, start with the tiny set screws in the bridge saddles on each side of the string.

Thanks. Do you know if I can completely screw the bridge to the body (flat position)?
If you want to just block your tremolo, you can either really tighten up the trem spring screws (or add a spring), and I would suggest using a thin bit of wood between the trem and the body, or you can use a Tremol-no (I have no experience with that, but others mention it a lot around here).

For years I have used 10s on Fenders and 11's on Gibson guitars. I had a set of 11's on my PRS Ted as well (sold that guitar). I recently thought about trying something different and set up my Strat with 9's (not really a fan on that guitar yet). So, as a recommendation from a friend I tried some light top heavy bottoms on my PRS Singlecut (was not a fan), then went to a set of 9's (meh). Neither set were inspireing so I tried some 9.5s and I have to say, these are the perfect set for this guitar. it plays and sounds better than before and I am really surprised that such a small thing could make such a huge difference. I thought about it and it makes sense for the PRS scale lengeth.

Im going to have to try them on the Strat now.

Funny story....My CU24 was setup with 9's for the longest time but in the past year or so, the setup was getting out of whack. buzzing, fretting out, intonation off, etc. I only had a set of 10's so I threw them on and now it's just about perfect with even the intonation nearly spot on. I just hope that I don't have to go to 11's in a another year or so. ;)

Back