Crosscut Saw - Albert King

László

Too Many Notes
One of my favorite blues songs - and favorite all time guitar tones - is "Crosscut Saw" from Albert King's 1967 record, "Born Under A Bad Sign." There are several recordings of the tune that he did over the years, but for some reason this cut pulls me in every damn time.

The rhythm and horn sections were right on, too. I just love this recording!

Also noteworthy is the title song from the album, that was faithfully covered pretty much lick for lick by Clapton on "Disraeli Gears" and clearly influenced his playing style.

On a lot of Albert King records the playing is - to me, anyway - spoiled by either Albert or the engineer cranking the treble and cutting out too much low end, so you get this squeaky vibe. But "Crosscut Saw" is classic Albert King playing and the tone is really beautiful, the way you heard him play live.

I've always been underwhelmed by the original version of that song, although it does serve as a great intro to Albert's playing. I much prefer the version he did on I Wanna Get Funky. Incredible groove, and I love how they flip the beat in the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and I listened to a lot of Stevie Ray Vaughan before I ever heard Albert, and when I finally did it was a revelation. "Oh, so THAT'S where Stevie got it from!"

The Cream cover of Born Under a Bad Sign is definitely up there as a favorite for me.

I much prefer the original version to the watered-down funk thing that came later. Sorry, we're never going to agree on that one!

You want some killer blues, check out SRV and Albert King "In Session". Unreal.

I happen to really like Born Under a Bad Sign - Thank you Albert King! Agree with Les about recording quality of many of Albert's songs (but I could never quite put my finger on what was "missing") . Here are some great covers of the song by Jeff Golub (very recent version) and Robben Ford (at least 20 years old). I have been listening to covers of this song because I want our band to have ago at this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rweenV64hdw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx6ztc8wbWk

I much prefer the original version to the watered-down funk thing that came later. Sorry, we're never going to agree on that one!

Watered down? You're crazy man, the groove on the funk version is sick! That band is super tight. Sorry, I'll try to agree to disagree like a gentleman. :tongue:

Watered down? You're crazy man, the groove on the funk version is sick! That band is super tight. Sorry, I'll try to agree to disagree like a gentleman. :tongue:

Gentlemanly is good!

I love funk, in general, just not this one. It detracts from so much that's great about the original.

Reminds me of the Deodato disco version of Also Sprach Zarathustra. Not sayin' it's bad. Just that it's better in the original version.

He had a great voice. Amazing how many blues artists he influenced. Even the tiny single beat rhythm taps are stylish. While we are on the source for cream originals, where did "strange brew" come from?

Back