Comparing the new SE 245 vs 2010 SE Singlecut

Tom Rossiter

Hi Forum,

I am looking to buy my first PRS guitar and narrowed it down to either a new SE 245 or a used 2010 SE Single Cut. I am curious how the necks compare, playability, weight, and pickup type and tone. I do like single cut Les Paul style guitars.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks

I believe that the SC has a wide thin neck, right? The SE245 definitely has a wide fat and is one of my fav carves. Thicker body, too. To me, the 245 brings the beef and I love mine. The SC is probably a really nice guitar, too, but my heart is with the 245. I have videos to prove it. ;)

I believe that the SC has a wide thin neck, right? The SE245 definitely has a wide fat and is one of my fav carves. Thicker body, too. To me, the 245 brings the beef and I love mine. The SC is probably a really nice guitar, too, but my heart is with the 245. I have videos to prove it. ;)

The 2010 Singlecut is a guitar for sale online. I have not had a chance to play it yet. I agree, the 245 looks just as thick as a Les Paul.

So...I have an old '06 singlecut, which aint much different to something from 2010. I like the 245 SE more. The neck carves should be about the same, I think both have wide/fat carves, but I like how much thicker the body is on the 245 and the pups have more life than the G&B pickups that used to come with older SEs. The pros for the SC are a slightly lighter weight, and I prefer a two knob control scheme over four.

The big difference is that the SC has a 25” scale vs the 245’s short scale. The other difference is that it is thinner. To me, those are reasons to get a SC over a 245. But as you can tell, opinions differ.

I don’t know the neck carve of the SC in SE form, but if you like the Pattern Regular carve, look for a used S2 Single Cut.

Apart from difference in scale length, the 245 has much thicker body. Other obvious welcome additions are 4 knobs and LP style toggle mount. I also guess you’ll like the 245 pups as they sound very PAF-style.

Here’s mine.
9KP6p47.jpg

1L58m7k.jpg

4WueOkc.jpg

Sac9Hcb.jpg

So...I have an old '06 singlecut, which aint much different to something from 2010. I like the 245 SE more. The neck carves should be about the same, I think both have wide/fat carves, but I like how much thicker the body is on the 245 and the pups have more life than the G&B pickups that used to come with older SEs. The pros for the SC are a slightly lighter weight, and I prefer a two knob control scheme over four.

Draconomic, thanks for your comparison. On the pickups on the singlecuts....they are G&Bs? Are they Alnico Vs or Ceramics? I wish there was more information on these pickups and PRS pickups in general.

Apart from difference in scale length, the 245 has much thicker body. Other obvious welcome additions are 4 knobs and LP style toggle mount. I also guess you’ll like the 245 pups as they sound very PAF-style.

Here’s mine.
9KP6p47.jpg

1L58m7k.jpg

Here’s mine.
9KP6p47.jpg

1L58m7k.jpg

4WueOkc.jpg

Sac9Hcb.jpg

Sac9Hcb.jpg
Beautiful 245!! What year is it?

I’m weighing in on the Singlecut side. It is admittedly less Paul, and more PRS. The neck is a wide fat profile. I have two, one with a trem, and one without. All the Singlecut pickups are G&B, and my ears tell me alnico. Of course, I may have an earwax buildup. I prefer fewer pickup controls, and have a rotary pickup blend pot with a chicken head knob instead of a three way on my trem. That’s my outdoor gig guitar. They are fine guitars. I prefer the 25” scale. The only other scale I’ll play on my electrics is the 25.4 of my DC3 and 509. Once again, my ears just prefer the balance from high to low of that scale length. Because the body is thinner, the Singlecut has more bite, and less bulk than the 245. Either way you can’t go wrong. First buy one, then the other. That’s what many of us do around here.

Draconomic, thanks for your comparison. On the pickups on the singlecuts....they are G&Bs? Are they Alnico Vs or Ceramics? I wish there was more information on these pickups and PRS pickups in general.

Unless they were replaced, probably going to be G&B. It's not a bad thing, I mean G&B makes pickups for the S2 line now and in demos sound pretty nice, but back then I thought they were just ok. As soon as I dropped something else in there the guitar had much more life to it. The SE pickups they make now are much better. I couldn't tell you if they were Alnico or what have you.

On the guitar itself, forgot to mention the old SE SC is a 25" scale whereas the 245 is...well, 24.5". I remember around 2009 or 2010 PRS did the Michael Akerfeldt sig SE, which is very much like a prototype for the 245's we see today. It had a larger maple cap, thicker overall body, bird inlays, and really pretty wine red color that I've only seen on that specific model...except they did that silkscreened Opeth logo thing on the body and even though I do like Opeth, that's just a desecration.

The SE G&Bs definitely have alnico magnets. Not sure which variety though. Probably Al-II

I put my preferred Al-IVs in a couple of them, but I couldn't be sure how much of a difference that made. Which is more evidence that they're standard Asian alnico magnets.

Back