Cleaning frets: what’s your favorite method?

RallyFanatic

Perpetual musical mid-life crisis
My Silver Sky frets are in need of a little cleaning love as they’re getting a bit nasty. Usually when I clean the fretboard they shine right up, but not so much these days. I’d hate to use steel wool as it makes such a mess. Music Nomad Frine kit looks intriguing. Stew Mac Fret Eraser? What works well for you?

I’ve always used steel wool for a deep clean, fret erasers for a quick clean. Maybe I’ll check that cloth out. How long does it last?
I’ve used steel wool also. And I’m tired of it getting into places it shouldn’t be, and being a PITA to get out of those places, so I’m interested in this cloth as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve always used steel wool for a deep clean, fret erasers for a quick clean. Maybe I’ll check that cloth out. How long does it last?
I cut 2”x 2” squares off of the cloth when I clean my frets. A full sheet will last quite awhile depending on how often you use it.
If it’s a guitar in regular rotation, I use it every other to every 3rd string change. If a guitar has been sitting and needs a string change, I’ll also use it then.
You’ll definitely need a clean rag to finish cleaning up the frets to get the polishing residue off. The frets come out beautiful.
It also works GREAT on bridges, tops of bridge posts, and pickup covers. DO NOT USE IT ON GOLD HARDWARE.
(I’m also an EX-steel wool user.)

Miracle cloth is the exact same thing as gorgomyte at substantially lower cost.

51zRjv-ppAL.jpg

Back