Chris robertson se vs s2 studio or vela

horax

I can get a new Chris Robertson or a used vela or studio for about the same price.

Which should I get and why?

I can get a new Chris Robertson or a used vela or studio for about the same price.

Which should I get and why?

The one you prefer the feel of, the tones of and the one you will be happier with. At the end of the day, its your money and unless you are buying it as an investment rather than as a guitar, the only thing that matters is the one that you are going to be happiest playing....

Well, the Robertson's got that P90 in the neck position, which makes it a pretty different guitar. I'd think anyone would probably develop a preference for one or the other just based on that. I love P90s but not everyone does. If you do, that's a vote for the Christ Robertson - if you don't, I wouldn't go that way.

-Ray

A vote for the s2s. They're noticeably superior to SEs. Not bagging SEs as they are excellent guitars but if you come across another s2 or two in the future and get to play them you will wonder why you didnt buy one.

The bridge pickups are not for everyone but if you're patient with adjusting them you will be rewarded.

S2 necks are really wonderful

Clearly, the answer is to buy all three!

But seriously, the best idea is to try them all and figure out which one you like best. If that's not an option, figure out what's most important to you and pick the one that fits your choices best. For example, I really dislike trem bridges, so I wouldn't go with the Studio, and I prefer bird inlays over dots, so (depending on the year) the Vela would be out for me as well - not to mention that I already own one. So I would go with the Chris Robertson SE (coincidentally, I suddenly have the urge to buy one of them now).

The studio keeps calling my name. I have a Vela and LOVE it. I have an American Elite Strat that I really, really like. I want a Studio, but I can't quite figure out how to justify it. The Strat and the Vela together cover virtually the same sonic territory as the Studio. I already have another PRS on order that should arrive son (fingers crossed) and getting a Studio just doesn't make sense. I still want one.

The D style single coil in the Studio and the Vela has an amazing tone. Different people have different tones in their head. My baseline tone has always been, "single coil in the neck position". This is where I start, and the D style on the Vela and the Studio in the neck position is something special.

If you MUST have a P90, then get the Robertson, otherwise I'd go for the Studio.

So @horax, did you make a decision? I myself just got a Chris Robertson and it's blown me away. It is definitely exceeding my expectations. It's my first SE, and the fit/finish are amazing. I also surprisingly really like the neck profile. My others are pattern reg and the vintage but the wide-fat may be my second favorite next to the pattern regular. I wanted the Chris Robertson because of the p90 and the 58/09. I've never heard the american 58/09 in person, but this "s" version sounds good to my ear and the p90 in the neck is just sooo good.

I went with an se standard 24.

Got it in such a big discount I couldn’t resist.
Plus i couldn’t find a chris Robertson used yet.

Back