Changing strings on Phase iii locking tuners.

Mike63

Hi,

I'm trying to work up enough posts so that I can put up some pics of my guitars, but have some genuine things to say.

My Phase iii Locking Tuners are way better than some other company's tuners, I can tell. But a little tricky changing strings. Do you folks use a tool to aid in the process, or you're just badasses ?

Thanks,

Mike

Never needed more than finger tight, and each string is dented from the screw when taken back off so I know it is enough. I wrap just enough around the tuning post to get the string away from the hole the string passes through. I think full contact of the string on the post preserves more sustain than catching only the thin edge of post at the hole. Plus the string is just that much straighter to the nut slot which does help returning to tune after bending.

Be careful when using more than fingers, my Paul’s guitar has locking saddles that tighten with an allen wrench and it severed a string end clean off with barely any leverage from the wrench.

I also just finger tighten them. My Vela is the first guitar for me that has locking tuners and I think they're great. I have about half a wraps worth and it stays in tune very well.

I only go finger tight as well. I should however also say that I am very well known for breaking bolts on things when working on them. I seem to be able to tighten things a little more than the average person for some reason. Torque wrenches are my friend.

Back