Changing from an adjustable stop tail to a 2 piece

Ruben Bernard

If I was to consider removing the stop tail with the intent of changing it to a 2 piece bridge. would the bridge studs match up or would I have to drill new holes under front piece (obviously under the second piece I would have to)

The bridge would need to go where the stop tail is now, I think. The pins are much smaller than stop tail bolts. My guess is that you’d need to pull and fill those holes, drill/mount the bridge where to old stop tail used to be, then drill/mount the bolts and tailpiece behind.

Something I’d definitely send to a pro. I don’t have the skills and tools to attempt it without likelihood of totally ruining a good guitar.

The bridge would need to go where the stop tail is now, I think. The pins are much smaller than stop tail bolts. My guess is that you’d need to pull and fill those holes, drill/mount the bridge where to old stop tail used to be, then drill/mount the bolts and tailpiece behind.

Something I’d definitely send to a pro. I don’t have the skills and tools to attempt it without likelihood of totally ruining a good guitar.
if I was to send it to a professional to be done, do you think it would be noticiable?

if I was to send it to a professional to be done, do you think it would be noticiable?
They can do wonders matching finishes around mods, but a detailed look might show something has been done where the tail bolt inserts were removed and filled. Done properly, it wouldn’t be a distraction from any distance. That assumes an easy to match finish/wood, of course.

I did this on an SG Special in 1970 or 71, and still have the guitar. It was done by a professional, but being a kid, I couldn't afford a refinish, and it didn't seem important.

The original tailpiece studs will need fairly large plugs, and unless the guitar is refinished, it will be very visible, as you can see, and will also kill whatever resale value the guitar has. Also, as you can see, the correctly-installed bridge angle on the Tune-O-Matic is slightly different from the original holes.

This is the result; the guitar sounds great, looks…not so great!

jrZzCbF.jpg

Back