Cant remove string through string-through bridge

John Stephen

Been changing strings on my SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow, which has a string-through (or "through-body") bridge. I am unable to feed the B string down through the hole and out the underside of the body. Had a lot of trouble with the high E string too. The strings are so thin, I can't push them through. Any hints, tips, tricks, etc.? Thanks in advance.

[EDIT: Got the B string out by pushing it through with a straightened out paper clip, a tip I just saw on Youtube. On the high E, it actually broke before I found about this trick, so the ball end and a short little length of string are still inside the hole. I was able to get the new E string on anyway, but next time I change that string I will use the paper clip to try to get the remnant ball end outta there.]

Last edited:
This happens from time to time, and you found the right solution. I have a tiny jewelers screwdriver I keep with my guitar tools just for this. Sometimes using the bit you trim off the wound strings works too if you don’t have something else handy!

Thanks to both of you. Right, I didn't think of a cut piece of one of the old strings. That would work too. I wish I could get the remnant ball end out of the high E, but I think I would have to remove the new E string that I put on there, so I'll wait until I make the next string change.

I have a similar problem today, changing strings on my Custom 22.

It is harder than hades to get the ball ends to come out of the holes in back. Gravity does not do it alone.

I could not get the stock strings that came w/ the guitar to come out. Can't get the replacements to do it either.

Very frustrating.

I use a cut piece of the E or A string to push it out.

That's what I did. It still was not easy.

I was replacing the 09-42's that came on the guitar w/ 09-46's. I don't think that had anything to do w/ it.

I've never owned a string-thru guitar before. I can't say I like that part of it.

Love the guitar though.

Worst part of the SE bridge. I always swap them out.

What do you swap it out with?

Now either it or the saddles are rattling. I don't hear it on recording but it's pretty annoying during playing. Will moving up to .10's eliminate it?

The trem block can be swapped out. I usually go MannMade, but there are other brands out there. Brass or steel.

Back