Bridge pickup height adjustment screw loosening over extended playing time, pickup falls into cavity

Permanent Waves

I've noticed this on my 2 older CE24's (early 90's): over extended playing time, the high-string end of the bridge pickup starts sinking into the body as the screw loosens while playing. Eventually the screw pops out and because of the spring, it's pretty much impossible to re-align it without taking the pickup and ring out of the cavity entirely. I usually keep a jeweler screwdriver handy and bring it up when it start to sink, but if I am having some particularly inspiring rehearsals, I tend to forget until it's too late. I figure it takes about 10-15 hours of playing for the pickup to fully drop in the cavity.

Has anybody seen this issue and have a solution for it? I don't want to go extreme like putting Loctite on the screw, but maybe I can do something or add something to the pickup end to make the screw tighter so it does not loosen over extended playing time. I am not sure why this happens on these 2 guitars only, either the screws are longer/tighter in the newer models, or maybe it's because I'm playing my older CE's almost all the time :). I've thought of putting some paper or fibers into the screw hole on the pickup so the screw would be tighter, but not sure that would work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Is it because the screw is too short and it backs out quick? Or is it the pickup ring beat up thru the years? If it’s the screw being too short then get a longer pickup screw. If the new one is too long clip it shorter until it can sit nicely In the cavity. If it’s the pickup ring then order a new one. I would make precise measurements and find similar on Amazon as I’m not too sure if they release rings for older models. Or contact John mann who will quickly figure that part out for you.

I've never had this issue but how about Teflon tape? Larger diameter screw or maybe a new one that hasn't been screwed in and out every dozen hours of playing.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I took the pickup apart and the screw is the same length and all the others (seems original). There's not even 1/8" clearance to the bottom of the pickup cavity so a longer screw probably won't help, I just need to make it tighter. I will try the teflon tape as I think this will be the easiest solution and I have some on hand (thanks @SinSir , I hadn't thought of that!).

An interesting point is I noticed the spring on the bass side screw was missing so I added one, but I don't think that was the source of the problem since it's on the other side. Also, the other guitar I have the same problem on (the one in my Avatar) has both springs in and still has the same problem.

If this is only happening when you play and only the treble side, you might actually be turning the screw with your hand. Maybe when strumming picking or muting? I would put a piece of electrical tape over that screw head and see if it stops. If it is turning by hand and is not just a worn screw I would also use a drop of loctite. Finger nail polish will also work as a temporarily thread glue.

I had a '95 CE22 with one of the neck pickup screws that did the same thing. I ended up putting a drop of Elmer's glue on it to hold into place. Worked great and held it just tight enough that if I wanted to adjust it, the glue would easily break free. I always thought it was odd that only the one screw worked its way out.

The purpose of the spring is not only to keep the pickup height adjusted correctly but also to provide enough tension so the pickup doesn’t slip out of adjustment. If the spring has lost its tension replacing it or pulling it out and stretching it a bit may help. Another possibility is the pickup threads that the screw goes into are partially stripped and not holding and the spring with a little time and vibration from playing is actually pushing the screw through the worn threads and loosening the pickup; if this is the case I would try anything that would lock the screw in place, all the suggestions above would probably work.

The purpose of the spring is not only to keep the pickup height adjusted correctly but also to provide enough tension so the pickup doesn’t slip out of adjustment. If the spring has lost its tension replacing it or pulling it out and stretching it a bit may help. Another possibility is the pickup threads that the screw goes into are partially stripped and not holding and the spring with a little time and vibration from playing is actually pushing the screw through the worn threads and loosening the pickup; if this is the case I would try anything that would lock the screw in place, all the suggestions above would probably work.
I had the same thoughts on the springs. If this is a new problem it may be time to replace the springs. If it isn't new, using slightly longer springs may fix it as well. If it is the threads, that isn't good or as easy to fix. I would go with one of the options above to stop it from coming loose. One that I didn't see up there is to put a drop of clear fingernail polish on the end of the screw so if it starts to back out it should stop when it hits the dried polish. It is also not permanent.

Back