Bridge and Tremolo upgrades: Starla content

I’m sure it would help, usually locking tends to help with tuning stability. I found the roller to be quite helpful with the Bigsby. I think mine locked onto the posts
Thsnk you, suspected as much. Any clue as to which one of the tonepros i would need?

...old SE Custom Ltd....

o4r9DAk.jpg

Whoa, man! Did you add the Bigsby to that older-model SE Custom Semi-Hollow? I've never seen one with the Bigsby before--I could really go for this.

Whoa, man! Did you add the Bigsby to that older-model SE Custom Semi-Hollow? I've never seen one with the Bigsby before--I could really go for this.

It was a special run. Sergio and Hans both have them as well. I think 100 made. It was probably the top tier SE of its time. Ebony board, binding, real phase 2 tuners, real Bigsby. I would get another one day if I can find one.

Thsnk you, suspected as much. Any clue as to which one of the tonepros i would need?

This is the one I used

Thank you! Lots of the maintenance you mention I do as well. I guess the bigsfixx might help me be able to use the guitar more regularly without hestitation :)
Well, tried the bigsbygix and it actually helps a lot!!

No need for a locking bridge on my end. Guitar is stable now and I can even abuse the bigsby a lot more than I normally would during a set and it remains in tune. The reverend spring however is not a good idea for my guitar, I need the stiff original spring to put enough stress on the bridge to bring it back to its original position. But I do not like the more slack response of the reverend spring anyway; not enough control for my liking.

Update: after the honeymoon phase with the biggsfix I still noticed unpleasant instability. Less than before, but too much for my own comfort. Especially unpredictability was annoying. Never knowing when it went sharp or flat. I let the Starla be and bought a nice McC that gobbled up my play time.

However last sunday I used the Starla in church, even though the instability was a risk and uncomfortable, but the guitar fit the set like a glove. Short story; sounded phenomenal, was a pain to manage. Me being me I got ispired to fix it. A quest was found and barked upon.

Short story/Sergio version: FIXED IT.

Lazlo version below (and I would read it if you own a bigsby).

I got a brainwave during the service: it occured to me that the bigsby itself might be the issue. It was stiff, not just because the spring was stiff, but because there is a lot of friction in the bridge itself, causing the guitar no to return to pitch. I noticed this friction last time changing strings, but did not think it through. I searched on the webs and youtube how to lubricate my bigsby (and took care to formulatw that search precise) And found this youtube vid.

It told me two things: I was right about the friction being the issue and gave me two paths to explore; lubrication and installation.

As it turned out: both were an issue. The bridge needed alignment and the bridge was lubricated, but with too much grease: it got sticky. Removed a bit of the grease and now the bigsby arm "falls" like the video above and the guitar became actually stable.

Abused the bigsby, and returned to pitch within 7 cents. Tuned it, repeated ithe test multiple times; same results. Let it rest over night: still the same results. I think I fixed my Starla!! Might be worth exploring for other Starla owners as well!

Last edited:
Great news and write up! Enjoy that Starla I didn't give that model credit until I picked up mine. Its easily one of my best axes. Looks like a lube session is in order.
What worked for me was to

- take the bridge off,
- remove the arm (allan wrench 3 mm) and that frees up the bar enoug to slide it a little to the left and right, revealing the dark grease
- take way the excess grease with a paper cloth.
- Reattach the arm, make sure it "falls" like in the vid,
- screw the bigsby back on the guitar and keep testing the "falling" of the arm,
- restring and abuse the bigsby a lot to test

Last edited:
Back