Brand new Ce or used core custom

Vinker202

This might have been covered ad nauseam but I am not sure what to get. Old custom or new ce. Currently, I have se and I have owned s2, which I regret selling. The axe paired with my home studio so well. So, I appreciate advice. Thanks

I’m a sucker for the fully carved tops. So I say Custom 24. Core quality instruments are always a good bet. On the flip side, PRS’ current pickups are arguably the best they’ve ever been.

PRS broke me of my bolt-on stigma. However, unless you weenie-out and complain about the violin carve hurting your forearm :rolleyes::p, there is an undeniably sexy aspect to those core curves. There are many unloved core guitars in need of a forever home.

Last edited:
I agree with the above. Core guitars are fabulous. However...

CE's are just as fabulous in a different way. It's not about carved tops, it's about the sound. CE's just sound different than Customs. To my ears they just rock harder. More defined highs that will cut through the mix with ease. If that is the sound that rings your bell, you should get the CE. Now we can't tell you what sound you would prefer so you are going to have to play them to know.

And if you still need the sexier top, get a Gen 1 CE used. If you find one with Dragon 1 pickups (around 95), even better.

I don't like the way they make the new CE's compared to 15 years ago. They were much nicer then IMO. Either way I'd go with a used core in a heartbeat.

I vote for a mix: Used older CE. you get the low price, and you get a core guitar! I like to mod my guitars, so older and cheaper works out as a nice baseline to add the pickups etc. that I want in there. I'm sure whichever you get it will be an awesome guitar though!

*edit* I would also consider the CE semihollow if your going new CE

Thanks for your replies...

Well I could not make a decision. So I bought used core, ce and I have se :) One is going back. hehe At least this time I won't have that feeling, I wish I got something else (hopefully)

Core seems to be the preferred option. I got it for like 2 k from GC website, They have a 36 month special on used stuff now. Might as well try it to see what I am missing out on. The only thing is core is not semi hollow but ce and my se are semi hollow.

I really had good time with my S2, the instrument was very smooth with pedals and recording equipment. I am looking for some type of connection with the guitar, can't describe it, but from what is said core should be optimal...

Now, this SE that I picked is really nice guitar but if I would choose S2 is better. Anyway, come saturday will try them out. Thanks

Well. Do you prefer 24 or 22 frets? Wide fat or wide thin?

I like 22 fret wide fat necks so my vote is the CE-22. They are definitely the best value right now.

Back