Book recommendations

Just finished "The Greatest Beer Run Ever." True story about a guy from New York who makes his way to Vietnam during the war in order to bring some beer from the neighborhood bar back home to the guys from the neighborhood that were serving. Gets into all kinds of trouble during the Tet Offensive. Comes under fire on the front lines. Fantastic read. I hear it's being made into a movie.

Just finished "The Greatest Beer Run Ever." True story about a guy from New York who makes his way to Vietnam during the war in order to bring some beer from the neighborhood bar back home to the guys from the neighborhood that were serving. Gets into all kinds of trouble during the Tet Offensive. Comes under fire on the front lines. Fantastic read. I hear it's being made into a movie.

B, double E, double R, U, N……beer run?

American Dirt by Jeanine Cummings

Incredible fiction about a mother and young son fleeing a Mexican cartel, and their journey to escape to America. It’s extremely well written, but not for the faint of heart.

Wish listed this and it popped up at sale of 99p kindle edition on Amazon UK today. Got it. Thanks

Project Hail Mary - Andy Weir (he off 'the martian')
I read that a few months ago, fun read.

Some other's that I've enjoyed recently:
'Sleep Donation' - Karen Russell
'Where The Water Goes' - David Owen
'The Cold Dish' - Craig Johnson
'Red Rabbit' - Tom Clancy
'Mythos' - Stephen Fry
'Night School' - Lee Child

And I'm currently reading 'The Long Walk' by Stephen King.

On a friend's recommendation I started 'Golden Buddha' by Clive Cussler and gave up about halfway. Horrible writing IMO.

Just finished this a couple weeks back. It's a novel told in a true crime story, and told so well that even though I knew it was a novel, I still googled to see how much of it might have been based on fact (answer - the town exists, the author lived there).

Chasing-the-Boogey-Man-Front-Cover.jpg

This is the stack next to my bed currently, in no particular order since I'm part way through all of them.

"When We Get To Surf City" - Bob Greene
"The Simulation Hypothesis" - Rizwan Virk (i.e. are we living in a video game)
"The Book Of Joy" - Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu with Douglas Abrams
"The Art Of Dreaming" - Carlos Castaneda
"Stories Of Your Life and others" - Ted Chiang (one of the stories was the basis for the movie "Arrival")

A couple more to add...

41qmORh1TDL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Drew Hastings is a comedian who moved to Hillsboro, OH - on Bob & Tom, they called him a "gentleman farmer" because if you were given a random selection of photos, you'd never pick him out to be a farmer. He eventually became mayor of Hillsboro. His comedy may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I love his stuff. There was a ton of stuff I didn't know about him, like the fact that after his father left, he married another woman, and when she had a son, she named that child Drew and said he was the 'real' Drew Hastings.

519gJexy4cS.jpg

I bought this pretty much solely on Stephen King's recommendation (and I thought the cover art was very cool). The book is an easy read (subject matter aside), and it didn't disappoint. That's two recommendations by King I've read this year, and he's 2 for 2. I'd put this a notch below the Chizmar book above, but it hooked me very quickly. Highly recommend this one if you're into horror/supernatural stuff.

I'm reading 'The Man From The Future, the Visionary Life of John von Neumann', by Ananyo Bhattcharya. Von Neumann was a mathematician who was pivotal in quantum mechanics, the implosion atomic bomb, the invention of the programmable computer, the creation of early computer programs, economic and other game theories, proofs of currently accepted views of mathematics, etc.

The folks who worked at Los Alamos on the bomb in the early 1940s thought he, Edward Teller and a few others were geniuses, and called them 'The Martians'. And they certainly were geniuses. von Neumann was explaining math to college professors when he was eleven years old. Yeah, you read that right. Eleven.

Von Neumann died at an early age, in 1957. He didn't get to live to see his ideas come to fruition in today's computers, but my goodness, what a brilliant mind. In fact, his wife was one of the first people to write programs on that helped test ideas about the H-bomb for the ENIAC computer. She doesn't get much credit, but she was very important as well.

It's a good read, and though I'm no mathematician, I can attest to the fact that it's written in a way that ordinary human beings can understand. I'm enjoying it, and think most anyone interested in the modern development of math and science would. Very well written.

Passing through the forum this morning and found this thread. Some great ideas and suggestions in here. Thanks.

I would add David Mitchell’s Ghostwritten, Cloud Atlas, and Bone Clocks to the list. Some find him pretty polarizing in style and his choices on themes, but I have really come to enjoy his writing a lot.

Also the Robert Galbraith crime novels are great. I haven’t gotten to the latest yet, but the first 4 are great.

Picked this one up last weekend.

You're Too Good to Feel This Bad: An Orthodox Approach to Living an Unorthodox Life. By Nate Dallas

Yeah, yeah...I'm one of those guys that reads those "self help" sort of books. Don't hate, I'm all about being the best me possible. It's quite a chore...I need all the help I can get. :cool:

Also the Robert Galbraith crime novels are great. I haven’t gotten to the latest yet, but the first 4 are great.

I started reading those after the Cinemax series. I've only read the first one so far, but very good, and it was long enough after watching it that I didn't remember everything. And like Charlene Harris's series that "True Blood" was based on, different enough from the TV series to be somewhat new and satisfying while using a familiar story and characters.

Back