Book recommendations

I just finished reading Rob Halford's book CONFESS cover to cover. I very much enjoyed the book. But I also think that the only people who will really enjoy the book are life long hard core PRIEST fans such as myself. I'm also a Rob Halford fan and have a few of his solo career CD's that get played regularly while I'm out riding my Harley.
Note: Some of the subject matter may be uncomfortable for certain individuals. Reader digression advised.

https://www.amazon.com/Confess-Rob-Halford/dp/0306874946
LOVED this book!

About 1/4 of the way through John Barry’s “The Great Influenza” about the 1918 flu pandemic. Interesting read. Contrary to the name, Spanish Flu, it likely started in Haskell county, Kansas.

I didn’t expect that from the Spanish Influenza
Yeah, there’s a lot of back story in this book. About how poor American medical practice was after the Civil War and how it transformed by the early 1900s. I was also shocked to learn how heavy handed Woodrow Wilson was after we entered WWI in 1917. Total censorship of the news. Foreign language publications were being held by the Post Office, and destroyed. Speaking out against the war got you arrested. Organized groups actively looking for people/groups that opposed anything the government did. And much, much more. All in the effort to promote “morale”. The Allied countries heavily censored all media types. Spain was neutral, and therefore they “covered” the effects of the pandemic in their news print. Hence, Spanish Flu because they were the only country covering it freely.

Meanwhile, back-in Kansas the flu was raging in Haskell county. Troops carried it to overcrowded military bases, and then on to Europe. From there, it exploded.

So far, the most shocking thing was how heavy handed Wilson was. Kinda makes the last four years look tame.

You forgot surprise! It's three main weapons are.....
Finished the Benjamin Franklin biography. Followed that with Dune and just completed Without Remorse by Tom Clancy. Kinda went out of order in that series, I read Rainbow Six a couple years ago, might read it again now.

Also watched the Amazon movie of Without Remorse that came out yesterday. Nothing like the book. I guess it was fine on it’s own but just a shade of the book. I don’t know why they couldn’t have just stuck with the original story and the original characters. There were no hookers, no boats, no mafia, no torture, no black-op mission to Vietnam, no POW’s, no detectives on Kelly’s trail . . . at some point an adaptation is no longer an adaptation, it’s a new story.

It's rare to get a good movie from a great book. The one that springs to mind is No Country for old men, both classic

It's rare to get a good movie from a great book. The one that springs to mind is No Country for old men, both classic
It is hard to match up a movie to a book you've already read, but I do think some decent movies have come from books. Some, I'm surprised it is the same story when I read the book after the movie.

‘Fight Club’ was also a good movie adaptation.

On the other end, ‘Sideways’ was a far better movie than the book was. No wonder it won the Oscar for Adapted Screenplay. It’s basically the award for the best damage control. The book sequels were atrocious.

American Dirt by Jeanine Cummings

Incredible fiction about a mother and young son fleeing a Mexican cartel, and their journey to escape to America. It’s extremely well written, but not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
Their three main weapons are fear, surprise, ruthless efficacy and near fanatical devotion to the pope!

wait...the four main weapons are....

I totally forgot about...The Spanish Inquisition! I wasn't expecting that reference...
It’s super satisfying when a solid joke lands again a whole month later :D

Just finished Doctor Sleep, starting Midnight In Chernobyl.

Funny enough there’s a part in Doctor Sleep when they get to Denver and Dan wants to see his old childhood apartment building, and he describes basically the exact place where my new office is, even names the street, Arapahoe. Crazy coincidence.

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. Mason joined the US Army to fly helicopters and got sent to Vietnam, only knowing “it was a great pace to by stereo equipment.”

There's a follow-up called Chickenhawk:Back In The World:Life After Vietnam that picks up just as the first book ends. If you enjoyed the first, I'd highly recommend this one as well.

Not mentioned here, but I can also recommend anything by Christopher Moore. Very funny writer. Lamb (the story of Biff, Jesus’ best friend) is a favorite. Also the early vampire-ish books. Noir was much stronger for me than I’d have guessed - it’s largely about the art world around Van Gogh, but it really hooked me.
Oh, man another Moore fan! I came in on the vampire books, but now own every single book he's written. Lamb and Sacre Bleu are probably my favorites, but that's sorta like picking your favorite kid.

Back