Bogner Harlow Boost/EQ/Compressor

László

Too Many Notes
I had such good luck with the Bogner Burnley that I decided when the time came to get some clean boost and light compression going for one of my projects I'd have to try out the Bogner Harlow.

It's a clean boost with a tone control that actually works like the wonderful Tonelux "Tilt" control - turning the control to the right turns up treble and reduces bass, and to the left it increases bass and reduces treble. It's very effective.

The second is a control called "Bloom" that is really a type of compression. The third of course is volume for your boost.

As with the Burnley, the Harlow has the Rupert Neve custom wound transformer.

I've tried an awful lot of good compressor pedals, but never stuck with them for long. Either they're finicky, or noisy, or they are over the top with the compression. This compressor is a very easy to use one-knob beastie. It can be subtler than most, adding just a touch of beef when you want it without squashing the signal into Nashville Tele territory. You know that sound. This one sounds more like it's part of your amp.

With light compression on, the tone knob does some nice things to bring out the upper frequencies, and you can hit your amp as hard as you want with it, though I use it at just a touch over unity gain to add some fullness and sparkle when I roll the volume down on the guitar.

It's a very sweet sounding pedal that adds a bit of richness. Like all compressors, when it's engaged it brings up the noise floor, too, but my rig is very quiet so it's not at all objectionable. For me it replaces an Xotic EP Boost and an SP Compressor, that turned out to be not what I wanted with the DG30. The Harlow is a very smooth pedal, with a solid bottom end as one might expect given the transformer.

Anyway, so far I like it and am using it on some tracks for a big project I'm doing. Also, GWizz, I promise to try the Wessex, but I was in a hurry to work on my project today and didn't try out the one they had at the store.

Here's a pic of the pedalboard with the Harlow switched on. Something weird happened with the iPhone camera that makes my perfectly straight pedalboard look warped, so please ignore that and check out the pedal:

I forgot to mention that the Suhr Buffer has two isolated outputs, one goes to the Xotic BB Preamp, and the other buffer output goes to the Peterson tuner pedal, so the tuner isn't in the audio path to the amp.

Then it's BB >> Harlow >> Burnley >> Suhr Jackrabbit Tremolo >> True Bypass Loop Box. The Eventide H9 is in one of the loops so that it isn't in the signal chain when I want an all-analog thing happening (yup I know the H9 can be true bypassed but then you lose the ability to have the delays fade out when you switch the H9 off; this way I can have the best of both worlds, true bypass and having the delays fade out, and there's another bypass loop for something else if needed).

Why not put the Harlow ahead of the BB? Well, I don't stack my dirt pedals, and it just kind of well...um...looks nicer this way. ;)

Sounds like a winner. Those latest Bogner creations seem like the real deal for both live and studio applications.

Yet another great review Les, to tell you the truth when I first saw the demo of the Harlow I was very interested.
i'll be looking forward for the Wessex review whenever you'll get the opportunity to do so.
:beer:

Thanks for another great review Les! The board is looking sweet!

Thanks, Tooth! I think I'm starting to need to get a real-deal pedalboard like the tiered on I had years ago, plus I want to hide the wires. I found some nice ones.

Sounds like a winner. Those latest Bogner creations seem like the real deal for both live and studio applications.

They really do sound good. My only criticism is that the switches are not all that smooth.

Yet another great review Les, to tell you the truth when I first saw the demo of the Harlow I was very interested.
i'll be looking forward for the Wessex review whenever you'll get the opportunity to do so.
:beer:

The Harlow is one of those maybe-you-need-one, maybe-you-don't things. But for what it does, it's great.

Last edited:
Back