Best tuner upgrade for a Bernie

moT

I have Gotoh 510s on my main acoustic and after playing around on the Bernie for a few months I keep reaching the same conclusion.

The stock tuners on the Bernie suck!

But then again, the Bernie comes in at about a 1/4 of the cost.

What's a good (best?) replacement for the tuners where all I have to do is unscrew the old and screw in the new? I have the tools to do more, but I really don't want to screw up the Bernie and also want to keep the option of bringing it back to factory specifications.

Thanks,
Tom

I know you said you didn't really want to, but if you get a 10mm reamer,
http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Reamers/Peghead_Bushing_Reamers.html
then Phase III's will fit right in. You'll see an impression in the finish from the old tuner housing, but otherwise they look and work awesome. I've done this to my Zach Myers and core Starla.
IMG_0815_zpsbr0jys21.jpg

I had those Gotoh tuners also. That was when I found out it's either a manual screw style lock for me or nothing. Those auto magnum lock mechanisms are the most time consuming and annoying string changing gadgets ever created!!! Ymmv:D

I have a set of Gotoh MD90s (brand new) that I was going to use on my SE Bernie. PM me if interested.

MANN-MODIFIED Phase II tuners, all day long.

I picked up my Ltd Ed BM SE from a shop in the UK. As soon as it shipped out, I bougot the modified tuners, PRS wide-fat Core nut, and 2300 bridge from Mr. Mann.

The tuners are an identical replacement, and rock solid. They're perfect for the BM and ZM models...and I'm buying a second set for my ZM SE as soon as I have the time to do so.

No affront to the other choices available...but unless you put in more mod work to add Core Phase III tuners, you won't find anything that fits your bill better than Mr. Mann's modified magic mushroom models.

These Grover mini locking Rotomatics work great. They were a direct drop in replacement on my older Se Singlecut tremble guitar. I dig them. No unsightly screw type tall post heads. They are auto locking.

Problem is the Bernie has those vintage grommet type old fashioned unsealed box tuners. These vintage Grover sta-tite ones might be good. https://www.grotro.com/Grover/VINTA...ca/Sta-Tite-with-18-1-Gear-Ratio-97-18-Series

Definitely the modified Mann ones are great.

Back