Best Deal Ever

aww that's nice...thanks making the rest of us look bad!:top:

Beav7.jpg

I just snagged a Korina Singlecut SE for $300. Moon fret inlays, had a single dimple in the fretboard that I took out with a wet cloth/soldering iron. Otherwise pretty minty. Tossed some Schaller locking tuners on it, getting a Tusq nut and a Tonepros bridge this week (which I scored new for a song), then some new pots/switch/jack and a Seymour Duncan P-Rails set...in the end, I'll have it all decked out for about what a new one would cost. And to me, that's not a bad deal at all. My best in recent memory definitely. ;)

The best deal for me that comes to mind immediately was a used PRS Starla X at GC for $599. That guitar looked, and played great. It sounded like a pissed off Les Paul Jr. While the pickups aren't the greatest, 20 minutes with a soldering iron would have fixed that. I returned it for a refund when MA Pete listed a white Starla X with those Duncan Joe Bonamassa pickups.

My Charcoal Cherry Custom 22 - I bought it and it was seriously beat to #!$@ and it had no electronics. PTC turned it into an amazing instrument.

I got this baby on ebay back around 1996 or so maybe and I believe I paid something like $ 1,400.00 First yeear of production and I think a low serial #
P1020455.jpg

P1020459.jpg

I have a system these days:

I use my Discover card almost exclusively, and I rack up the cashback bonus as time goes on. Now, you can redeem it for cash, use it to pay down your bill, etc., but if you look around Discover's website they give you the option to get even more value by spending it on gift cards from retail partners. You can spend $20 on a $25 gift card to Banana Republic, for instance, get yourself a pair of chinos. Sometimes you can even get double what you spend, like $20 for a $40 cert from FTD or 1-800-flowers (a smart move on Valentine's day).

Turns out one of their partners is Guitar Center. Not the best deal out there, but $90 for a $100 gift card isn't bad, and since it's paid for from your cashback balance it's basically free money.

Then I wait for a good deal at GC and strike. That's how I got my SE Angelus: $150 off plus $600 in gift cards, and I took home the best acoustic I've ever owned for $50 plus tax. Which makes my wife happy.

Last edited:
I have a system these days:

I use my Discover card almost exclusively, and I rack up the cashback bonus as time goes on. Now, you can redeem it for cash, use it to pay down your bill, etc., but if you look around Discover's website they give you the option to get even more value by spending it on gift cards from retail partners. You can spend $20 on a $25 gift card to Banana Republic, for instance, get yourself a pair of chinos. Sometimes you can even get double what you spend, like $20 for a $40 cert from FTD or 1-800-flowers (a smart move on Valentine's day).

Turns out one of their partners is Guitar Center. Not the best deal out there, but $90 for a $100 gift card isn't bad, and since it's paid for from your cashback balance it's basically free money.

Then I wait for a good deal at GC and strike. That's how I got my SE Angelus: $150 off plus $600 in gift cards, and I took home the best acoustic I've ever owned for $50 plus tax. Which makes my wife happy.

This should be a Discover Card commercial.:beer:

Quite simply, all three of my guitars are my best deals ever:

2008 goldtop ORIGINAL birded DGT: I had been wanting to try one upon the slow trickle-like premier of the model and thought that if I were to get one I would really like to find one I sure would love one that was a goldtop with birds. Then I went to NAMM and realized the birds had CHANGED to the outline birds which I was less fond of. Realizing this, I contacted J. Hayes to see if he might be able to track one down with original birds. It became quickly apparent to me that this was an extremely rare bird(no pun intended) to find. Fast forward a couple months and I happen upon a For Sale on the Gear Page of a USED goldtop DGT with original birds! It was owned for a WEEK and it wasn't what dude was looking for. He sold it to me for like just over 2K but he did not know the fact that the combo of goldtop and original birds had any scarcity to it. I consider that the deal of a lifetime, because the guitar changed my life!

2007 GOLDTOP R0- Similar story as there is no such thing as a goldtop R0. Gear Page dude bought an iced tea burst/darkback R0 special run with a plain top(not a guitar center G0) and decided to much drama on the gear page to send the guitar to RS guitar works for a TOP ONLY refininsh job to make it a goldtop(with aged looking color shading included under the pickguard, knobs, and toggle poker chip. He also had modded the wiring with a DR. Vintage kit of caps and pots, and installed Wolfetone Dr. V pickups which really brought it to be a very vintagey guitar. Long story short, I lusted this guitar he had customized this way and low and behold a day came where he decided to sell it for 2500 or so, and I pounced. BEST Lester for ME I have ever played, and the greatest deal.

2012 McBurst DGT Come on, man... Only one known, in a finish so many of us wish PRS had issued with the DGT when in premiered, a proven tone monster that was owned by Jetydosa for a few months that was the best tonal DGT he had come accross out of like 18 DGTs? AND dude sold it to me for a very fair price? Again, best deal ever. All three of these things... :)

Back