Best Deal Ever

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
I was over at my buddies house a few nights back. We were fondling some of his vintage guitars and he was telling me about some of the deals he got "back in the day". He was telling me how some of the prices he paid weren't such a deal at the time. Looking back, however, he practically stole them!

It got me wondering about my "Best Deal Ever" on a PRS - and whether it not it was a good deal by today's standards or just the long run. I looked at my photo albums and came up with a few that stand out. Not because they are worth much more than I paid but because they are an incredible bang for the buck.

At around $450 new, the Korina SE One has got to be one of the best deals out there - for any brand. When you consider the Les Paul Junior sold for $99 in 1958 (that's $776 in todays dollars, accounting for inflation) the SE One is a smoking deal - even if you spend another $120 for a custom P90 and high-quality volume pot.

But the real focus of this thread is used PRS deals. Seems like eBay is a veritable candy shop for those who have the cash. Back in 2006 there were usually around 250 hits for the search words "Paul Reed Smith". These days you will see about 1900. While there will always be guys (like Dick Green) who will buy a new PRS guitar and then post it on eBay for several grand more than he paid, there are many more people who are selling used PRS guitars for prices that are just too hard to pass up.

Then there are the Craigslist deals. I scored a Private Stock Standard 24 for $3100 not so long ago!

But my current Best Deal Ever is a Silver Sparkle Starla. I love this guitar. The shape, the 24.5" scale, and the pimped-out paint job make this all-mahogany rock machine a notable departure from the PRS baseline - and certainly a stand-out amongst the Earth-tone, maple top, double-cuts I usually buy. It comes stock from the factory with the Hans Mod (forearm edge not sharp) and the Markie Mod (volume pot moved back). The pickup system is exclusive to this model and is easily discernable from the current offerings (57/08, 59/09, 53/10, etc). It sounds fantastic in full bucker or split mode. It pairs well with clear or crunchy amps. It has a nice thick neck but remains very well balanced. The Bigsby works stays in tune and gives the thinner body a nice heft. It has birds. And... I got it used for a grand!
:star:
IMG_0018.jpg

Best deal ever? Well... it's a little too subjective to say that emphatically. But I like it just as much as my most expensive guitars. I can't imagine that I'll ever sell it. And, it will never be worth less than what I paid for it (if I find myself in a pinch). So its low cost of entry tips the scales.

So how about it? What's your best deal ever? Why?

Last edited:
A couple of other guys & myself traded & sold a 66 "Ricky" back & forth for about 3 years. I think each of us owned that thing at least 2 times. I had it 3 different times. The going rate was $800. I paid $700 the 1st time, traded for it, then paid $800 for it. I was ready to move it again, but the other guys really were not in the mood to have it back (Hehehe). I put it on Sh*tbay without a reserve & it sold for $1900.

Yah-mon!

Just got it yesterday. $400 for a naturally reliced F3ND3R Highway One with Warmoth Maple/Ebony neck.

I got my Starla Stoptail for $950, beat you by $50! :)

Other notable great buys:

1988 CE24 - $550 - it had an electrical problem. I put a swich and 245's in and no more problem. I wouldn't sell it for $2000. That alder body is a keeper.

2007 CuRo22 - AmberBurst quilt, Braz neck, Paua inlays. $1275. Didn't come with a case though so...

1995 CE22 STD - Dragons - $900. Those dragons in an all hog body are amazing

SE Soapy 2 maple - $190 new from GC. I still smile at that one. Less than what GC paid for it.

I picked up this early SAS on eBay for $1,050 shipped. Black with a nicely flamed neck and fretboard. Plenty of nicks and dings so no stress if I add a couple more.

IMG_0151.jpg

I scored Harker1440's MEQ for $2600... why that guitar was sold at ANY price, I'll never know. It's now my #1.

Being over here it is very rare I get a good deal by the time it lands here. I need the Exchange rate to drop back before I can realise any 'Deals' from the past few years!!

The only one I can say was a great deal is my PS Modern Eagle, which I bought on BAM for less than production MEs change hands right now. Plus, snagging that was what got me and Markie chatting and trading which has led to me getting free couch accomodation for 3 nights a year!!! Wooooo!!!

Brand new SE Semi-Hollow for $499AUD delivered, no gig bag though (which is weird) but that's a minor inconvenience
I hear this all the time from SE customers. SE Gig Bags seem to have joined the same demise as missing socks. Thankfully my SE came with one.

Last year, my 1990 CE was tagged as a 1997 by the "major chain" that I bought it from. It was such a good deal ( $849) for a 1997 that I never asked for a pic of anything but the top, and I was in such a hurry to "seal the steal" that I never even bothered to verify the S/N.

Imagine my surprise when I opened up the case and saw the no-logo neck plate and electric headstock signature! Screaming, albeit manly, ensued. My wife came running downstairs because she thought something was wrong. Pulled the pups, verified, and did the happy dance.

I doubt I will get that lucky again. This CE sounds and feels so amazing I would probably choose it over my siggy in the burning house scenario.

I'm pretty happy with my SE One in mint condition with gig bag for $240 cash. I didn't understand all the hype about this guitar until I got it. I absolutely love this little thing now!

Back