Best Dan Erlewine book/update to looking for opportunities with PRS

You aren't alone on the skate collections when it comes to this forum!
I got so estatic when I saw the sticker page this month, they haven't sent them out since March and I can't believe they're doing it again now

Great book!
It actually inspired me to go and find a cheap axe off of reverb. Can't do a NGD though as said axe is not PRS.
This should be an interesting project.

Last edited:
I'll add a suggestion to get a subscription to Vintage Guitar magazine. Erlewine has a column in there where he details various repair jobs, including having some lesser experienced staff performing parts of the repairs. A sub also includes online access to their back issues, so you'd be able to review the older columns.

Another thing I'd recommend is reaching out to Greg Platzer at BCR Music in Lemoyne, PA. Greg used to post some of his repairs to the Hamer Fan Club board, and the dude is a wizard. It'd be a couple hour drive for you, but you might be able to arrange a visit and get a chance to pick his brain.

I follow him very closely. You could say I'm a fan. I recently read The Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine. Now I decided to take my mind off it and found the crucible book, using https://studymoose.com/literature/the-crucible-book for that. The man is incredibly talented. If you want to learn to play the guitar, no one can tell you how to do it better than him.
In some ways I agree.

Last edited:
Yea I'm doing a glue in neck. It's an LP style neck and it's real nice. I need to sand the headstock because the tuners are a bit short and I just need to get it sanded down to a height where they are tall enough. I need to also drill some holes for pots and switches (I got hipshot locking tuners, CTS pots and stuff and then seymour duncan distortions) so that's my project for now!
Get better tuners. The ones that come in kits are always junk. With proper tuners, you may not need to reduce the thickness of the headstock.

Dan has become a premier repairman/luthier. I lived in Ann Arbor when he was just starting out.

I saw him building that walnut Flying V for Albert King and saw him hit it and get mad when he made learning mistakes on it.

He built a Strat for Otis Rush out of the same walnut.

He presented it to Otis and Otis asked Dan to paint it. He didn't like the natural finish!

Dan's become a great luthier and repair man since the time I asked him to put Strat pickups in my '51 Tele.

I was young and stupid. But he did it.

I traded him an early 60's Strat body that Pete Townsend had smashed at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit for the work he did.

In fact, those were the Strat pickups he put in my '51 Tele.

Dan was the best guitarist in Ann Arbor. Everyone knew that.

Last edited:
Back