Bernie SE Upgrades

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by ParanoidAndroid91, Aug 1, 2016.

1. ParanoidAndroid91

ParanoidAndroid91 New Member

Are the US PRS bridges good candidates for an alternative?

2. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Personally, I would go for the MannMade 2300. The Benie has metric studs and wells. John will send the tools necessary to change them, and the US wells. They come out like butter, and it takes less time to do them than it does to change a set of strings. I'm not sure if the PRS bridges come with studs and wells.

ParanoidAndroid91 likes this.
  3. bodinski

bodinski New Member

I just put a 2300 on my Bernie. It was too tall for my liking with the studs (even the stock ones) all the way down, so I deepened the holes enough so the wells could sit below the surface a couple 32nds, then used a rat-tail file to enlarge the tops of the holes. This way the stud pedestal can sit in the recessed area & the bridge can essentially rest on the face of the guitar. Problem solved.

I guess it should be noted that the factory wells protruded from the face about 2/32". The brass replacements are little taller and have less taper on the bottom. Installed in the stock holes they probably stuck up 4/32 or so. Anyone else experience this?

Anyways the surgery was really easy & I love the sound of this thing.

4. bodia

I put a 2300 on my Bernie as well. Stock studs were flush, as are the new ones. However, I have my SE One on the work bench now. New studs protrude 1/32. Guess I'll pull them back out and bust out the drill.

#24 bodia, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  5. guitargeezer

guitargeezer New Member

For those of you who have installed the MannMade bridge, a quick question. They offer the metric model as well as the US...I assume that the metric is the direct drop-in for the Bernie. Is that what y'all have used?

By the way...I'm on my second Bernie. Sold the first for some reason...probably the three knobs rather than my preferred four knob setup. But after a number of other guitars since then...including a couple Gibson Les Pauls and several PRS core models (have a Grissom right now...also three knob)...I realized that the Bernie was probably one of my all time favorites, so I picked up another. Yep...still is! The guitar in my avatar was my first core model...a Ted McCarty DC 245. Don't have it anymore, so I may have to change that.

#25 guitargeezer, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    moT and gasmansteve72 like this.
  6. bodia

The metric version is made for the SE's. That is what you'd want on the Bernie.

7. Danerada

Danerada Goatee Practitioner

This is AMAZING! What a sexy guitar!

8. guitargeezer

guitargeezer New Member

Thanks...that's what I thought.

dogrocketp likes this.
  9. Alan Manning

Alan Manning Well Love a Duck Mary Poppins.!!!

Mick Ronson Played a 68 Model turned everything up full blast with a cry baby wha and let rip, uncovered pickups as you stated. As for Bernie modsI was lucky with help and advice and to be honest copied Bodia's beauty i/e phase 3 locking tuners, core nut, BKP Abraxas pups, 2300 manmade bridge, push pull and core strap buttons. Plays very nicely indeed, a great guitar. shown this so many times BWTF I[​IMG] like it!!!!

10. bodinski

bodinski New Member

I know the MannMade website asks whether you're ordering for a US or Core/SE model, but I suspect the bridge is the same.
    I had a US stock bridge on my Bernie for a while & it's dimensions are virtually the same as the import model (just a more precise finish). Why would there be a need for two different Mann 2300s?

11. bodia

The studs on the SEs are metric.

dogrocketp likes this.
  12. bodinski

bodinski New Member

Yes, the threads of the SE studs are metric, but the US bridges will still mount on them, as does the Mann 2300.
    Back to my point & disregarding the studs, I believe there is only one 2300 bridge for PRS guitars, US or import.

dogrocketp likes this.
  13. bodia

You are correct. Same bridge.

14. Barquentine

Barquentine New Member

That is a stunning guitar, How are you finding the Abraxas set ? I have them in my Bernie.

15. Alan Manning

Alan Manning Well Love a Duck Mary Poppins.!!!

Best way I can describe it is sweet cleans and a nice growl cranked up. with the split I can approximate most tones!!!

16. ParanoidAndroid91

Thanks for all your posts since my last visit - some great pics and advice! I wasn't notified of the new posts, so I apologise if I appeared rude (since I asked for advice).

Lately, I've seen the Seymour Duncan 'Whole Lotta Humbucker' pickups and thought they may be a great addition, given the guitar that the Bernie is largely based on. Users report more pronounced mids and 'that' Led Zeppelin tone being easy to attain... I'm going to look into them as well. Ultimately, I'm taking my time but will definitely be happy with the results at least! I'll keep my eye out for any new replies here, too.

tyfu20 likes this.
  17. tyfu20

tyfu20 New Member

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have the Whole Lotta Humbuckers' in mine, coil split and they sound great. Enjoy it!

[​IMG][​IMG]

#37 tyfu20, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  18. ParanoidAndroid91

Another fly in the ointment - PRS not long ago released the 57/08 pickup set! Ahhhh, decisions decisions!

19. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

I put 5708`s in my 03 CE 24. The sound is magic.

20. ParanoidAndroid91

Ah, great! Do they handle a good variety of tones in your personal experience?